Topic

Paella backpackers?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Paella backpackers?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I wonder how many other BPLers out there eat Paella on the trail?

I love it. I make it with Chorizo, risotto rice, white beans and a seasoning mix of dried tomatoes, dried red pepper, dried onion, dried garlic, paprika, saffron etc. It is delicious and contains the perfect ratio of protein, carbs and fat to replenish the energy of a hungry hiker. You can even re-heat left-overs for breakfast or lunch!

Buen provecho!

Paella

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I thought this was a spoof post to the Paleo backpackers thread.

Wow, that looks delicious. Do you pre-cook and dehydrate? I imagine the rice would take a long time to cook and a lot of fuel if you didn't.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

It was!!! I'm relieve someone has a sense of humour!

But I do cook it for real. For rice I use Uncle Bens parboiled rice – it only takes a 10 min simmer on a very low heat, so very little fuel. The only difficult ingredient is the beans – dehydrated beans are not available in Europe and pre-cooked beans are heavy.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Snigger….

Even if I find Chorizo a greasy abhorrence…

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Stuart-

I wanted to suggest you check out http://www.paellamealstogo.com where you can purchase freeze-dried paella meals.

:P

(no affiliation!)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools