Topic

High Sierra Trail Solo Hike: Sept 18-22

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports High Sierra Trail Solo Hike: Sept 18-22

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

I made my first trip to the Sierra last month, doing a solo hike of the High Sierra Trail. It was amazing. I could never have made the ambitious 79 miles in 5 days without the insight on lightening my load I found here on BPL.

I posted a video trip report on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=MOidp9S9040

The full written report is at the link below:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11857

Thanks to the entire BPL Community for helping me make this amazing journey happen!

High Sierra Trail

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Brendan, you had a photo of the spot about two miles below the Mount Whitney Summit where hikers drop their backpacks for the short jaunt to the summit. You identified that as Trail Crest.

That is not Trail Crest.

When you head from there toward Whitney Portal, the trail climbs a few hundred feet to a point on the Sierra Nevada Crest. THAT is Trail Crest.

It sounds simple enough, but that small navigational detail has caused a number of Whitney hikers to get lost, either going up or going down.

–B.G.–

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for sharing Brendan. The HST was one of the first backpacking trips I did when I moved to CA. It's a great area. My profile pic has Big Arroyo in the background.

Elle Zhu
    BPL Member

@ellezhu

Locale: Northern California

Great trip report, it got my interest piqued :) How did you arrange for transportation for the start and end? I'd like to figure out the logistics and hike this in the spring!

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Thanks for the clarification Bob, I edited the trip report and pictures accordingly. The video is a lot harder to edit so I am going to live with it.

Good choice for the profile pic Andrew.

Elle – The logistics were a big pain in the @ss. I live in Boston and was out in CA for a conference in Lake Tahoe. I worked out the logistics as follows.

Getting to Visalia – I Rented a car in Lake Tahoe which I dropped off in Visalia.You can also get to Visalia via Train. The last part of the journey is actually on a bus but the entire trip can be booked thru Amtrak. The train is pretty affordable, unfortunately the timing did not work for my tight schedule.

From Visalia to Sequoia National Park – This was the most expensive part of the trip for me, but could be the cheapest for you. I ended up having to take a cab which picked me up at the Enterprise Car Rental in town and dropped me off at Lodgepole Visitor Center. I got them to agree to a flat rate of $150 ahead of time (ouch). The good news is that if you are going between May 21st and September 1st you can take the Sequoia Shuttle from Visalia (https://www.sequoiashuttle.com/). There site is in off-season mode right now but I believe the price was under $15.

Whitney Portal to Civilization – I had a pretty tight schedule coming off the trail so I got a ride from East Sierra Shuttle (http://eastsidesierrashuttle.com/) which does trailhead pick-ups. It cost me $85 to get from Whitney Portal to Independence. It costs a little less to get to Lone Pine. If I had to do it again I probably would have hitchhiked from the Portal into town. There are a lot of day or overnight hikers coming up Whitney from the East and it should be really easy to get a ride into town (every car leaving the Portal needs to pass through Lone Pine). The per-person cost is a lot less if you are not going solo (I think it was something like $20 for each additional person).

Back to the Reno Airport – You can get a bus from Lone Pine (or in my case Independence) through Eastern Sierra Transit (http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes). It is a long but affordable ride from Lone Pine to the Reno Airport. They also go south as far as Lancaster. The one caveat is that you need to plan ahead as the buses only go each direction on certain days.

If your in Northern CA the best way to do it would be to via the train. Train/Bus from San Fran to Visalia = $43. Sequoia Shuttle to the Trailhead = $15. Hitchhike to Lone Pine = Free. Bus from Lone Pine to Reno = $59. Train from Reno to San Fran is $61.

Elle Zhu
    BPL Member

@ellezhu

Locale: Northern California

Wow, thank you for the in-depth rundown. I'm impressed with the planning you had to do to make it all happen! I think I'll do the train/bus to Visalia and shuttle to the trailhead. Hoping maybe I can find someone to pick me up from Whitney Portal though :) Thanks again for passing along this information- very, very helpful!

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Clearly I spent way too much time studying all possible ways to get to and from this trail. If someone else can benefit so much the better!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools