Topic

Dumbest thing you ever carried

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Dumbest thing you ever carried

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Dogma that racked up karma

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

David,

It's long been obvious that our educational backgrounds aren't the same. If there was any doubt about it your 12/2/14 post erased it.

For comparison I took a University of Washington 5 credit graduate school class around 1970 entitled "Theory of Counseling". Attendance was optional and each student submitted the grade they wanted at the end of the quarter. I attended about 3 sessions, thought the whole thing was a waste of time and got an A.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

On two occasions I have had to carry other people's packs for underprepared partners who could not deal with the load.

On the one occasion I like to talk about best, I had packed an 18# pack (after food and water) for a trip where we were intending to cover extremely rugged terrain.

Said hiking partner packed a pack that easily weighed more than double (maybe triple) my pack, and amongst other things, brought a survival machete/saw, folding camp stool, tablet, and a full liter of whiskey. I ended up carrying his for the first day, and he carried mine. I took out my water and food before handing my pack over. I needed hiking poles to bear the weight, but still lead the group. On the second day, he said he couldn't take it anymore and we had to cut the trip short.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

An empty canister of fuel is my latest screw up. I had been out the week before, used up my gas, and left the empty canister in the bottom of my pack. The next weekend, I added some food, fuel, and water, and off I went. At camp that night, I discovered the empty canister. Only 4 oz, but still. I meant it was completely useless, not a drop of fuel left.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving
    Hikin Jim's Blog

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools