Topic

Hiking Skirt DIY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hiking Skirt DIY

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Audette

@beckyinma

Locale: Wicked northern, Massachusetts

I've caught the DIY bug and built full hammock systems for my family of 4, and I have a LOT of material left over because I bought the hammock nylon in bulk. I've been reading a lot about hiking skirts lately, and decided to make my own for when I'm out with our boy scout troop in the middle of the woods hiking/backpacking, anywhere where there is a need for discreet changing and bathroom duties. I've been reading a lot about their pros, and haven't seen many cons. Through some research and trial and error, my body type would only accept an a-line or wrap around style, so that's what I went with.

I used a basic pattern from this site: http://www.projectrunplay.com/2012/07/skirting-issue-melissa-from-polkadot.html

My panels were 24" long to start, 6" at the top, and 10" at the bottom. I didn't double layer it, although I suppose I could've double layered the 4 back panels for a little more support. It's a single layer of 1.3 pure finish ripstop, no coating, but it's really strong and lightweight. I'm a size 12, so used 10 panels for the wrap, with darts in each of the 4 back panels, and it wraps a full 1 1/2 times around me and attaches at one side with velcro and the other with a small bow. I didn't want any zippers buttons or bulky fasteners. The bow is barely noticeable under a pack waist belt.

The awesome thing about a pattern like this is it's completely customizable for length and waistline, add or subtract panels, make them bigger or smaller, it just depends on your waist measurement.

I always wear compression shorts or tights so no worries of chafing.

Finished length is 19.5' waist to hem, with a 1" double folded hand sewn hem. One pocket on the left thigh, and one secret hidden pocket on the inside flap.

Total weight, 2.6oz.

Wrap around hiking skirt

hidden pocket

waist

Scale

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

You sew very well!

Looks good. I'm sure other females would like to have them as well.

Rebecca Audette

@beckyinma

Locale: Wicked northern, Massachusetts

Thank you!

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

Light, too! "Finished length is 19.5' waist to hem" You're really tall!

Hammock camping systems? wow! Gathered end or bridge hammocks?
    tarps & underquilts (down or synthetic), too? I get amped making stuff that I actually use!

The stitches of the secret pocket don't show on the outside? Will skirt 2.0 have a panel width secret pocket, stitched in phase with a panel, so stitches don't give it away?

Erica Napolitano
    Spectator

@naperica

Locale: Northeast

Love the panels! Thinking a different color for each panel………

Lydia Fothergill
    Spectator

@lydiaelise

Locale: Southern California

especially the secret pocket.

Lisa C
    Spectator

@akgirl

Love this! Nice work

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Nice job. You sew really well!

To me what makes a good hiking skirt is it should be polyester or some other non-cotton material, it should be flowy enough to straddle logs and to be able to tuck into your legs when you sit on the ground so nobody sees your business, and most important: POCKETS!!! I’ve found that I can turn skirts at the thrift store into hiking skirt by adding pockets. I can turn dresses into skirts, too, by cutting off the top and using the top material for pockets. Also, polyester sheets at the thrift store are good to make skirts, if not too see-through.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools