Topic

Canadian roll-call / winter hiking in Québec?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Canadian roll-call / winter hiking in Québec?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brian James

@bjamesd

Locale: South Coast of BC

Are there other Canadians here?

I'm an Alberta native who was transplanted to Vancouver at the tender age of 19 a few (well 8) years ago. My girlfriend is Québecoise and I've always wanted to do a trip out east.

Of my 4 trips to Québec, 2 have been in the winter. Out west we generally don't get the sub-freezing humidity they have out east, nor do we have much (if any) freezing rain.

The first time I went to my girlfriend's home town of Ste-Justine, I asked "why are the trees so short? Was there a fire?" and she said "what do you mean, short?" I later found out that they're basically stunted by the harshness of the climate!

Are there Québecois here who could share tips and tricks about hiking Québec? I'd love to do an overnight when I'm there this Christmas.

Anyone else wish to declare themselves Canadian? Sometimes I think I stick out on this forum like a dead nun in a snowbank, preparing for sub-freezing weather in the summer and all that.

Brian

E C

@ofelas

Locale: On the Edge

Hey there Brian, though I'm neither Quebecois or Canadian, I'm married to one of them, and have been in QC for 2 winters now.
    I actually winter backpack backcountry here more than I summer backpack on trail, go figure.
    Places I've been – Habitimi area, Chicoutimi area, Gaspezie, Cascopedia Valley & Matapedia Valley.
    Shoot me an email when you make plans to visit.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I'm from Nova Scotia… but I don't backpack / camp in winter. Sorry :(

And what do you mean short?!??! What I want to know is… why are your trees in BC so darn tall!!!! :P LOL

Brian James

@bjamesd

Glad to meet you both!

Ofelas, how do you find the Québec (/Québecoise) way of life? Was it much of an adaptation for you? Where are you from originally?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

right here…I'm just next door in Ontario (Toronto). I have numerous visits to Quebec, but usually for skiing/snowboarding, so I can't comment on the winter backcountry…however, aquaintances of mine have only good things to say. I'd offer some asisstance but it sounds like EC will have some helpful tips.
    Steve

p.s.

"Sometimes I think I stick out on this forum like a dead nun in a snowbank, preparing for sub-freezing weather in the summer and all that."

This made me laugh, I just bought a new ice axe today! and I'm ordering a set of snowshoes in the next few days…went down to 7C last night.

Brian James

@bjamesd

I was in Tronna this summer; what an incredible incredible city. The only thing that left me slightly nonplussed was the length of the drive to get to outdoor recreation! But then again I live in one of the most spoiled cities in North America, if not the world: we have 3 million people and the wilderness starts literally where the backyards end. You could technically end a remote 7-day ski traverse by getting on a city bus!

It's already frozen overnight in Calgary where my folks live. Just another month and you'll have snow baskets on your poles and frozen snot on your mittens — doesn't it make your hear sing?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

"was the length of the drive to get to outdoor recreation"

You're tellin' me! I do most of my backcountry fun north of "Tronna" by Sudbury and Temagami – a 5 hour drive…a typical one nighter on the weekend consists of my alarm going off at 4am, driving until about 10am and getting to my site at about 7-8pm…then it's up in the morning, back to the car by 6pm and in bed by midnight…it's a tough life! That's also why I tend to work on the multi-day adventures. You and your abnormally tall trees have it so easy! Next time you're in Toronto, we'll catch a leaf game and climb the highest mountain in Ontario…the towering Ishpatina Ridge…690 meters (I think) ;)

Brian James

@bjamesd

If you ever get to Vancouver, we can climb the Grouse Grind. It's a stubby little hill that backs onto a wealthy neighborhood; it's kind of a stairmaster that locals stop by on their way home from work.

My personal best time is 49 minutes but the record is something ridiculous like 25. It's a 2.8km trail but the challenge the 853m altitude gain. (A baby mountain at 1100m)

It's a nice way to keep the quads pumping in the skiing off-season!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

One word folks…..Sharks! As in The San Jose Sharks. Glad to see some folks north of our border here!!

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

I'll declare myself culturally canadian. My folks left Quebec St. Charles and St. Lazare, Bellechasse co. and moved to So CA and I was born here. I've only ever been in the summer. Love those little wild strawberries!!!!! mmmm mm!

Brian James

@bjamesd

My girlfriend's from Sainte Justine de Bellechasse. It's so beautiful there; especially in the fall!

How's your french, if you don't mind my asking?

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

tres bon :)

can't write it though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools