Topic

Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

That is the question.

MLD's site says "Wide: For use with really wide bags or internal use of thick internal pads" on their Superlight Bivy.

I haven't used a bivy before. Would a JacksRBetter No Sniveller and a ProLite 3 count as a "wide bag" or a "thick pad"? Or are we talking 0 degree bags with 2" pads?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

FWIW, I've used my NS along w/a 20"wide Thermarest inside an Equinox bivy just perfectly. I'm 6'1" and appreciated the extra room, not to mention what you probably already know: that a bivy virtually eliminates drafts when using a quilt.

Still prefer a hammock, though:)

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Do they make hammocks that can hang from sagebrush yet? I go hiking in Southern Utah's red rock country alot and would love to try the hammock thing. lol!

Jaiden .

@jaiden

Not sagebrush, of course, but from the rocks themselves, yes. all sorts of climbing hardware works for this.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Ryan,

I have a wide superlight bivy that I use with a GG 1/8" thinlight, montbell UL 90 pad, and a REI 30 degree subkilo. I am glad that I went with the wide option. If the bivy was any narrower there would start to be loft compression in the foot area.

François Lederer

@franzi68

MLD normal sizing have been reported to be slim.

Maybe ask Ron Bell directly.

I would suggest the wider option because it allows better breathability within the bag, allows to stock stuff inside the bag in case, and does not compress down.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I just placed my order – maybe I'll e-mail him and add the wide option.

Are there any disadvantages to having a roomier bivy (except the .4oz weight gain – I'll cut my toothbrush in half again to make that up)?

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

I used to have a regular-width MLD bivy. I'd definitely recommend the wide option, and I'm a pretty skinny guy. With a 76-77" girth, I can sit up comfortably inside for eating, foot care, map juggling, etc. That makes for a much more livable arrangement.

The main disadvantages are the greater airspace to keep warm, and greater convective heat loss if you toss and turn alot – but neither are especially noticeable compared to a narrower cut, IME.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools