Topic

I’ve been had

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I’ve been had

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

OK, I know manufacturers lie about their products' weights. But this is ridiculous.

I got a Pacific Outdoors AO Lite 2/3 pad. PO says it is 13 oz. It weights 17.1 oz!! That's almost 30% more.

That is with the stuff sack and repair kit, but those hardly contribute to the weight gain.

I guess I'll keep it, but I'm not very happy. I almost got a Thermarest ProLite 3 short–what does that weight (really)?

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

My Big Agnes tent was heavier than the specs (enough that I was a little miffed).

I was about to buy a ProLite 3 short also. Anyone have an actual measured weight on that? (Claimed weight is 13oz).

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

ThermARest is a Cascade Designs division. Generally they have honest weights and stand behind their products.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Interestingly, almost all "cottage" gear makers provide honest specs, while many "mainstream" ones lie!

Habitual liars (in no particular order): Sierra Designs, Erueka, Marmot, Eagle Creek, Osprey, TNF. The biggest liar of them all — IMO — has got to be Slumberjack with their wildly exaggerated sleeping bag warmth ratings! But Sea to Summit's wild claims with their Thermolite is not far behind! Shame on them.

Big Agnes is mixed. BA's tent specs appear to be accurate, but count on their pad and bags weighing more than stated.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Have all been exactly on the dot to their claimed weights. Cascade Designs is an honest company in the weights!

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Was it 13 oz?

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a prolite 3 short. It is 13 oz. I don't like it, though, because it seems to absorb cold. I'm looking forward to testing my Big Agnes 48" insulated pad that, according to the Fedex tracking, is sitting on my doorstep. My guess is it will weigh about 12-14 oz. My theory is that the 48" insulated pad, together with a Gossamer Gear closed cell foam pad, will provide me both insulation and cushioning for this old bag of bones at a fairly light weight.

chris Mcfarland

@pecos

Locale: baba yaga's porch

Mine was 13.5, close enough for my dollar. I’ve had a good experience with it so far, but it is only a 1 inch pad. If its not fully inflated (and it takes a long time to self inflate) I do get cold spots, so I just over inflate it a little just before I put in for the night. I’ve had no problems since.

Chris Conway

@lntpunk

Locale: Midwest

My Thermarest ProLite 3 weighs 13.25oz.

30% more is a big discrepancy. I know how you feel although you got hit with more ounces than I did. My REI Peak UL Carbon Trek Poles were supposed to weigh 11.2oz but weigh 12.05oz… 7.589% heavier; and this is without the snow baskets. They still are nice but every darn ounce counts when trying to get my base weight were I want it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Sorry Charles, I have the Ladies version-but it is accurate to what they claimed :-) We have I think 7 T-Rests, and all are accurate weights.

Now…don't get me started on BA's older pads! I had one that was 4 ounces heavier!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Ladies version!!! I bet it's half the weight! I'm cuttin' my legs at the knees ;)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Be aware that the ladies version comes in hot pink! Just ask Franco! :)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol…it is a bit heavier – it is 20 ounces. And Hot Hot Pink ;-)

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

Marmot is the worst, in my opinion (way over the posted weight). Feathered Friends is way under what they post (but I think that is because they refuse to update their out of date web site).

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

I must be lucky, I just got two Marmot items and they are near advertised weight. Silkweight long sleeve baselayer advertised weight 170g and my (size L) is 170g. Also my Reactor Jacket advertised weight of 340g my (size L) is 360g. Don't worry, I don't work for them !

I also got a pair of Cloudveil Spinner pants advertised weight 310g but actual weight 420g ! Now that's a bit much ! Fine pants though.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

You ProLite 3 owners… I just bought one last night. I haven't taken it out of the wrapper – and I'm debating about doing it now. Is it really as cold as you all say it is? It's either I use the ProLite 3 or I go back to the Gossamer Gear TorsoLite (groan…). Any advice?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Huh, I am warm with my Prolite 3. In winter I do use a closed cell pad underneath on snow. But I am fine and warm on it 3 seasons. Not sure why others are cold?? And I am a VERY cold sleeper!

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

I am also warm in my ProLite 3 during 3 season use. I've switched over to the Montbell Comfort system and haven't looked back.

Simon Harding

@simonharding

Mine weighs a tad over 13. I love it. It does take a bit to inflate. I also overinflate it a bit. I also store it flat, with the valve open. A lot of folks tend to store them rolled up, in my experience. This impacts the "inflate-ability" of the pad.

Simon

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A few weeks ago I used my prolite 3 for 5 nights at elevations ranging from 4800 to 6200, temperatures in the upper 30's and low 40's. I used a 30 degree bag, wore 2 layers, and used a GG thinlight under my prolite 3 short. I was cold! Every time I scrooched my rumposo a little, I'd feel a surge of cold until my body heat warmed everything back up. On the next trip I tried the GG torso nightlight or whatever, with the GG thinlight underneath. Same bag, same conditions. I was much warmer, but not so comfortable. So my new plan is to use the BA insulated pad (I was lucky to get a prototype 48" one) with the GG thinlight. That way I'll get both the insulation from the closed cell foam pad and the comfort, without cold absorption, from the inflated pad. Fussy, fussy, fussy…
    Oh, wait. We're supposed to be talking about accuracy of weight. The BA 48" weighs 12 oz. Nothing to compare it to, though, since it's not in their line of pads for sale, although it should be.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

They said they cut these out of a really big piece of foam–that piece has varying density. I must have gotten a dense piece.

To their credit, they said they're going to go pull one that is the correct weight and do an exchange.

Eric Viviano

@lightweightpack

Not to hijack but….

Big Agnes bags have the built in sleeve to keep your pad in place. Does any other manufacture do this? I've been thinking of getting a BA zirkel bag and aircore pad for some time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools