Topic

Sewing second door zipper in HMG Ultamid 2 – Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing second door zipper in HMG Ultamid 2 – Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I am adding a second doorzipper to the long side of my Ultamid 2. Unlike MLD mids, the HMGs have the door on the shorter side which is great for two people, but less convenient for solo use and the need for a protected vestibule area. After some thought, I ordered the materials I need from Zpacks but can't get my head around the proper installation after extensive research here and elsewhere.

I was planning to sew and tape but am worrying whether I should also bond with hysol (which I don't have). My limitation is having to work with the existing panel. I can only hem the edges back an distance equal to the width of the zipper.

Taping the hem before sewing is not advised, and just sewing the two surfaces is less sturdy.

I was thinking of sewing each zipper strip rightside down to the right side of the panel, then folding the zipper strip over inward forming a seam along the stitch line, then sewing a second stitch line through the now doubled cuben and the zipper, then taping the sitches inside and out. But there will be no bonding between the two cuben layers.

I hope that makes sense. Any guidance suggestions are appreciated.

Derrick

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools