Topic

RapidPure Filters Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable RapidPure Filters Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

New to the discussion here, so thanks. Really appreciate the heads-up on this new technology.

The rest of the (very interesting) discussion aside, one of the exciting things about RapidPure's products is that they might well be the catalyst for new innovation in lightweight water purification. The first product to market might not ultimately end up being the "best" but serves as a goad to get others thinking about what is possible. Maybe we are one step closer to that "perfect" filter/purifier.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi All

I have added an Addendum to this review. It contains micrographs – photos taken with a Scanning Electron Microscope, of the filter element at high magnification. looking down at the bug level.

Most of the technical text is from RapidPure, and it explains in more detail just how the filter really works. Hopefully it will counter some of the waffle that has been going around.

Cheers

Kris Hampel
    BPL Member

@simple_one

Thanks for the update Roger, good information. It is annoying there is no clearly defined way of saying the filter is done, but I have a suspicion that in the real world, I would be replacing more often than what is strictly needed, rather than the other way around.

I'll stick with the usual backup practice, and take along a chemical treatment as a fallback if I have any suspicions about the filter function. A single pack weighs next to nothing and will get me to the end of any of my trips if need be.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Thanks for adding that information, Roger. Your article and the addendum are together one of the most thorough technology reviews I've seen on BPL. And they stimulated a good discussion. The time you put into this is appreciated.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Roger, great review and follow up by the company.

I just got back from an extended trip in Alaska. We needed to filter the the highly tannin filled water in the area. Though the Platy system work just fine for our needs, a faster system would be nice.
    I do like the ability to back-flush (we needed to a couple times) and the high cost of a throw away filter (when filled) of the RapidPure is a little off putting for me but it is not a deal killer. I also think there is a work around for the tannin issue. I'm excited about the technology and I'm sure the people at RapidPure have been reading this thread.
    A lighter weight cover and a better understanding about how the tannin's and such effect the system will greatly help me want to add this to my kit. I take a number of larger groups out each year and I see a distinct advantage to this system (once some of my issues have been resolved).

Viewing 5 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools