Topic

Single AA battery headlamps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Single AA battery headlamps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I'm looking to replace my BD Spot headlamp I bought several years ago and wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking any options. I really don't like that my current headlamp requires 3-aaa batteries. AAA batteries are just so much less efficient than AA and costs are almost the same. I know the ZebraLight headlamps are basically the gold standard here. Are there any other options for good headlamps that only take a single AA battery? I don't feel like I need a million bells and whistles but for the price, those zebra lights are pretty feature lacking. Many cheaper lights have options of red/white lights and some have flood vs spot options built in as well, too bad they are all AAA powered.

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

I've got a Zebra H52 something or other, with a hotspot plus flood and really like it. I use a Fenix LD15 as a spotlight for when I need it, and as a backup.

Ross L
    BPL Member

@ross

Locale: Beautiful BC

I have been using the Fenix HL21 and find it is pretty good for a relatively inexpensive headlamp.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I know what you mean about 3xAAA lights – more expensive per watt-hour and often harder to find. And three always leaves you with one extra battery after buying 2-packs or 3-packs (not a problem at home, but wasteful on the road).

I really like my Zebralights. I LIKE that they don't a flashy mode to cycle through because I never use it in other lights. And 90% of the times I think about some other light, "Oh, I'll use the red option to preserve battery life or my night vision.", it doesn't work. The red isn't quite bright enough to illuminate the trail or the colors on the map disappear and then I switch to a dim white setting instead (but HYOH, if you find you actually use the red option a lot).

You could get a spot version of a Zebralight and then put a small circle of plastic milk jug HDPE in front of it when you wanted a flood function (albeit with fewer lumens). That additional piece would weigh about half a gram.

And if red is important to you, another tiny circle of plastic fixes that.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

I have the Fenix HL21. It has a memory of the last mode so no cycling through modes when you turn it back on. Spot and flood is accomplished with the included diffuser lens that hinges in front of the lamp. It actually works very well but is a potential point for failure in my opinion. I agree with David as I find a red lamp to be fairly useless. I also like the switch which is easier to use than some other sealed switches on many popular name brand lamps. It appears though that the HL21 has been discontinued and difficult to find. I'm not sure if there is a comparable model available.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

David,
    3 batteries are especially problematic if I want to use rechargeables. I know there are some chargers that will charge each battery individually but with most chargers it's a huge pain to get 3 batteries charged back up, not to mention getting a backup set of batteries charged. With a single AA battery I can charge up the battery and a backup at the same time, without any headache at all.

As for the red light, I'm not sure how useful it would be either. When I've tried to use red flashlights in the past, I've had the same problems you just described.

I do like my current Spot's ability to run a more low level flood type light in camp and have a brighter spot on the trail. If I could find a Spot type light that ran on a single AA I would be in heaven.

Lastly, why on earth is the flashing mode so easily accessible on most headlamps? How many people are using the seizure inducing flashing mode frequently enough to justify to the manufacturer that I need to access it every time I change modes on my light? /rant

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

fwiw, my BD Spot drives me batty for other reasons.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

"3 batteries are especially problematic if I want to use rechargeables…"

I've used rechargeablea for AAA but it's not worth it. A hassle. Like you said, chargers do even number of batteries. 3 AAA headlamps are difficult to open and replace the batteries.

I just use Lithiums. It lasts me about a year. Lithium are lighter and last longer.

On a particular trip, maybe I'll notice it's getting dimmer and replace for next trip. Or I'll start carrying spares on a trip or two until it gets too dim.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

for a cheap quality SMART charger that allows independent channels (charge 1,2,3,4 cells or any combination)

get this charger for 12.99 $ US

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40241309/

ikea ladda … its a proven smart charger that detects when your cells are full so as to not overcharge and damage em

here is a detailed independent review … its probably the best cheap charger you can buy, much better than those cheap ones that comes with battery packs

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Ikea%20Ladda%20YH-990BF%20UK.html

also note that the ikea ladda rechargeable batteries have been tested to close to eneloop performance, for 5.99$ US per 4 pack

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/26725

also the ikea alkaline batteries are more or less as good as any other "top brand" alkalines for 2.99/10 pack …

http://www.batteryshowdown.com/results-lo.html

for all your "normal" battery needs just stop by the ikea … no fancy energizer bunny to sell you their marketing spiel and try to justify the premium pricing

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10767/

;)

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Thanks Eric, for reminding me that the Great State of New Mexico hasn't yet entered the world where shopping at Ikea is a possibility.

That charger sounds great though, I'll have to see if it can be ordered.

EDIT: BAH! silly IKEA and your habit of not selling the best items online. The nearest store is a 7 hour drive away!

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

I've read somewhere that the fast chargers runs batteries down faster than the slow chargers.
    The Ikea charger seems to be a fast charger.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

I use the red light all the time. Great for reading without keeping me awake for too long. It really does help preserve my night vision.

If you decide you want a headlamp with red light, be sure to get one with a descent output. Makes quite the difference in usability. I used to use the petzl e-light, now i use the Bosawi headlamp, and the red mode gets used all the time. With the e-light it was almost useless.

I also wanted a single battery headlamp with red and white light. Couldn't find one. Got the Bosawi, best headlamp so far for me.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

I've read somewhere that the fast chargers runs batteries down faster than the slow chargers.
    The Ikea charger seems to be a fast charger.

The cheap dumb fast chargers can wear down bats pretty fast, especially if it tries to keep charging em when full

The ikea charger is NOT one of those chargers

As you can see it takes about 2 hours to charge AA eneloops and it has the proper self termination down to a low trickle charge

In other words its a SMART charger that detects the state of the battery and acts accordingly

Not a dumb one that uses a time or other such, in which you can overcharge bats easily

Does rapid charging reduce the life of batteries?

Not significantly. So long as it is done using a properly designed smart charger, most NiMH batteries can be recharged in about an hour without any damage or significant reduction in their life. However, NiMH batteries must only be rapid charged with a charger specifically designed for charging NiMH batteries. Chargers designed to rapidly charge NiCd batteries can overcharge NiMH batteries. While it may be true that rapid charging NiMH batteries can reduce battery life by a small amount (probably less than 10%), this should be more than offset by the inconvenience of always slow charging batteries.

http://www.greenbatteries.com/nimh-battery-charger-faq/

;)

hwc 1954

@wcollings

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I have the older version of the Black Diamond Gizmo headlamp.

I agree that 3 AAA's is a pain, but I overcome the problem most of the time by using the 4th charged battery either in my Micro Maglite on my keychain, or in my wall clock.

I never use the dim mode or the strobe mode on mine. I regularly use it in red light mode though. I carry a small red cellophane candy wrapper and a couple of rubber bands to affix it to the lens.

I always take a star chart with me for orienting the sky. It's especially helpful when I'm pointing out things to others, and the red light saves your night vision. Naked eye (or any type of astronomy) is impossible without it.

I've been debating buying the new version because it takes 2 AAA's, but I already have:

1 Black Diamond Gizmo (old style)
    1 Petzl E+Lite (old style)
    1 Petzl Spelunking Light (old style incandescent bulb / takes 6 volt battery (or)4 AA's)
    2 Mini-Maglite
    1 Micro-Maglite

I need an other light like I need an other hole in my head.

But, since the new version only takes 2 AAA's, that might help with your situation, and I've never had a problem with water getting into it, even in hard rain. They're marketed as water resistant (IPX Rating: 4) but I've never had a problem, even in hard, sustained rains. Weighs 2.0 oz w/ batteries.

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/headlamps-and-lanterns/gizmo-headlamp-620604_cfg.html#q=headlamp&start=6

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I don't know what the current state of the market is, but a few years ago the only solution was to make your own. This uses a single AA and drives a full 1 Watt into the LED when on high. This means it will draw 1 Amp from the AA, so it really needs a lithium primary or NiMH. It's bright and has a good beam pattern, maybe you can buy something like this now, I don't know.

Headtorch

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Stuart

> a few years ago the only solution was to make your own.
    Mine is similar, but not to 1 W. I found that a good white LED at 20 mA was enough for me around the tent at night. Low beam is about 5 mA.

What chip did you use? I use Maxim chips as they seemed to be the only ones which could use a single AA. 1796 or similar.
    I hung the battery at the back so the lamp bit at the front was very light.

Cheers

Joshua Abel
    BPL Member

@aberrix

Another vote for Zebralight, I love mine!

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Hey Eric

Thanks for the great answer. I was kind of right, but just not significantly enough.

I'll get me the Ikea charger.

I've got an OLD slow charger, but it's a dumb one…

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Hi Roger

I am using a Linear Technology LTC3490. I have a low 0.2W setting as well as the 1W. The LED is in thermal contact wth the Al backplate for heat dissipation. 71g including the AA cell. The only issue is the switch is not sealed, so I cover it with blu-tack.

Headtorch circuit board

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

After spending some time on candlepowerforums (please don't make me go back, my head is still swimming) I found some additional options. I thought I would share in case anyone is looking for the same thing I am.

Previously mentioned options:
    ZebraLight h52 & h502 – $69 & $65 respectively

Feniz HL22 – $35

Other options:
    XTar AA H1 – Unique in that it also includes a red LED for those who might want that feature. Can be found on Amazon for $45.

Spark SG5 – Nearly identical specs to the Zebralight but is partially made of carbon fiber, which makes everything more desirable. Found one internet source selling it for $56.

I hope this helps anyone who may be on the look out for a great headlamp but can't justify the near $70 price tag of the Zebralight.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Stuart

Lot's of grunt in that package. Neat.

Cheers

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Stuart,
    That is a beautiful piece of art! Thanx for sharing.
    I made my own LED flashlights lights in 1991 for overnight hiking and used them that decade. Now I just buy them. It's hard to beat the quality of a Fenix or Zebra.
    -Barry

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

you missed this … fenix FL50 … 50 dollahs, released this year

http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=130

any of the headlamps you listed will work

one thing to note is that warranty and support may be quite important with electronic items

honestly if you didnt care about AAAs, even the walmart 13 dollah headlamp would work fine, a climbing partner brought one and its surprisingly good for the price (its brighter than many of the previous gen 4-5 year old petzl, bd PT headlamps)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20040-Ozark-Trail-150-Lumen-Multi-Color-Headlamp/29295368

the thing about LED headlamps is that theres always something better just around the corner

so buy the latest model which was released last or this year and dont spend to much

and dont overly worry about "lumens" where the difference is fairly minor ( < 25%) … you need quite a bit of a difference to notice anything substantial in real life

heres a 45, 80, 120 and 150 lumens … all from petzl lamps

http://www.light-test.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140%3Apetzl-tikka-2014-tikka-plus-tikka-xp&catid=35%3Aczolowki&Itemid=54&lang=en

just like BPL obsess over a gram here or there that doesnt make a difference in the real world especially after allowing for manufacturer variances … light forums obsesss over a the same thing

;)

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Jesse,

I went through a similar search at the end of last year when my Princeton Tec EOS crapped out on me. I ended up with the Fenix HL22 and have been very happy with it. IMHO, single AA is the way to go for a number of reasons. Try changing the batteries in the cold and dark with 3 AAA vs. a single AA. With the Princeton Tec, it was a chore. With the Fenix, it's a very quick and simple process.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools