Topic

Hex 3 with trekking pole

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hex 3 with trekking pole

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I am not having luck getting a stable pitch with my hex an a trekking pole. the pole extender doesn't seem to fit right. Anyone have any experince with this? I use leki poles BTW.

Mark W Heninger

@heninger

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm using a pole/extender with my hex3 no problems. Its an REI brand (which makes it a Komperdel) and the only trouble I have with the extender is sometimes getting it off the pole. It fits right over the end on two different poles I've used.

Pict here of the hex 3 setup last week with a trek pole/extender:

http://flickr.com/photos/heninger/1324886530/in/set-72157601862616892/

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you can pop off the tip of one of your trekking poles, you don't need the pole extender. I have a pair of Black Diamond Terra CF poles, and by stepping on the tops of a basket while pulling up on the pole, I am able to completely remove the basket and tip (I just get the end of the aluminum tube. I then remove the bottom segment of the other pole.

I now have two poles: one is just the top two segments, and the other is all three segments but with no bottom basket/tip. From there, I just insert the bottom of the three-segment pole into the bottom of the two-segment pole. This creates one large pole, where the bottom and top both have the handles. This is long enough for the Hex 3, and doesn't require the extender. It's also extremely sturdy.

When I'm done, I just put the bottom segment back into the two-segment pole and push the basket/tip back onto the three section pole. I haven't tried this on other poles, so I don't know if it is common to be able to pop of one's basket/tip, or if I somehow broke a glue seal. I do know that I've never had the basket fall off, as it stays on the pole quite sturdily until I pop it off by pulling up while stepping on the basket with both feet.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

I use Pacer poles, which due to the handle shape are extremely difficult to lash together. To get round this problem, I now use a "spare" pole section cut from an old pole. To use this, I remove the two lower sections from both poles and then insert them into the "spare" section – making a very solid single piece pole.
    The weight of the "spare" section is 2.3oz.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I think the problem was that I was not jamming the extender far enough down on the pole.
    Does your "spare" section just bottom out in the other 2 poles?

Chris Wood

@crwood

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

The pole extender fits perfectly over the regular tip of my BD contour poles. Slides tight up to where the tip connects to the basket. The BD Contours are one stout pole, so the whole setup is as strong as the stock pole. Not as wiggly as with lashing 2 poles together. I usually only need to set my pole between 125 and 132.5 for most situations. I ordered a Ti goat CF adjustable pole, 6 oz. to keep the Hex set up while I am out for the day, and don't want to lay the hex down. I am thinking that the issue is the size of the plastic tip. Either it is too narrow and causes too much play, or it is too fat, and makes it so the extender can't slide down far enough for a secure fit.

Good luck with your setup. I love my trek-pole/CF pole/Hex combo with tyvek floor. Bomber shelter, multiple set-up options for minimal wt.Hex with BD pole

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools