Topic

Working with pile fleece and Pertex fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Working with pile fleece and Pertex fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

I'm about to go Frankenstein on a pair of Buffalo Mitts (http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mitts/) by cutting a slit in the palm, hemming it, and reinforcing the palm in leather. Has anyone worked with pile fleece and how difficult is it to sew hems on a 'puffy' fabric? And has anyone had luck sewing reinforcing material (such as leather) to something as lightweight and fragile as Pertex so it can be used without ripping?

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

pertex is hella slippery sewed right to right side. if i was looking to sew pertex, fleece, and leather, i might hand sew it first to keep the thing from walking around on me.
    fleece on it's own is mindless. and so cheap you can pick up a yard of it to practice with.
    proper alignment may be the main annoyance.

cheers,
    v.

Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

Ah – Peter! It's a small world. I got your headnet the other day and will get a chance to try it on the trails in a few weeks. Much obliged for both that and this advice. Cheers!

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Along the cut there will be no seam allowance so I would bind the cut edges with a slightly heavier fabric, and stitch leather to that.
    not sure how you are planning to sew the other edges of the leather to the mitt?

these sort of things are generally done during construction?

I have added pit zips to 2 different pile and pertex jackets and other mods. also made pile socks – pile's easy to work with.

with pertex, just don't sew too near the raw edge- watch out for fraying (I sear it with lighter)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools