Topic

Reflectix Construction Methods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Reflectix Construction Methods?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Pretty new at working with the Reflectix material – I've tried building a cooler similar to the Escape Pod. I'm using the Reflectix aluminum tape for joining the seams, and folded over to finish the edges. However, I've found this makes the edges pretty inflexible, and I the tape edges seem to catch and peel a little bit when I slide the two halves together and back apart again.

Is there a better tape to use, or an alternate construction method that may work better? It looks like the Escape Pod is sewn with some fabric ribbon (grosgrain or similar) for strength – has anyone tried that for their DIY projects?

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

When making an insulating cozy for a bottle used for hot drinks I used Tenacious Tape. I only had the clear type on hand which is supposed to be removable. It's been a couple of months and it hasn't tried to peel itself off yet. It stayed pretty flexible as well. It's made in a variety of colors, and it works great for other gear repair.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I made a pot cozy this summer, using duct tape (some contractor working on my house stole the reflectix tape that came with my roll! $^#*&$#&!!!) One thing that surprised me (but shouldn't have, if I was thinking ahead) was that when I got it up in the mountains, the air in the bubbles expanded, making the cozy way more snug than it had been at sea level – I could hardly get the pot out of it in camp, when I wanted to cook dinner! That's one thing to consider when making a cozy, if you hike at elevation.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Duct tape works fine for me.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Clear packing tape also permanently bonds Reflectix. I've been using the same cozy for 3 years with no peeling or sticky goo.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Tenacious Tape looks a little overpriced for what you get, but I'll definitely try some of the alternatives mentioned in this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions.

David Moreno
    BPL Member

@nerrek2000

Locale: New England

I'll second the use of clear packing tape. It stays in place very well and also stay flexible under most conditions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools