Topic

Broke my BPL Hane – need 2nd segment – does anyone else have a broken BPL Hane with an intact 2nd segment?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Broke my BPL Hane – need 2nd segment – does anyone else have a broken BPL Hane with an intact 2nd segment?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I have so many fond memories of fishing with my first Tenkara pole that I would like to get it back into service. I broke the 2nd segment (right above the handle) of my BPL Hane. Tenkara USA is unfortunately not able to get that spare part for the Hane (they can only replace broken tips). So now I wonder whether anyone out here has a broken Hane with an intact 2nd segment that is laying around unused.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I guess everyone was out for the long Labor Day weekend, enjoyed fishing and missed this post. Now that everyone is back, I hope this post gets read by someone who has a broken Hane laying around.

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

e.g. Tenkarabum.com, which sells a terrific range of rods–not saying he has spare parts. If he has a few, surely, something will fit. Only hope the new piece doesn't adversely affect the flex.

I thought most people break the tip section. You do mean the section just below that?

Good luck.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Hi Jeffrey,

This picture on the TenkaraUSA site describes how the segments are numbered. According to their numbering system I'm looking for segment 2 (right above the handle). My tip section is fine and has seen some pretty big fish. This happened when I was doing three things at the same time and basically stepped on the rod – totally my fault.

Tenkara Rod

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Hey Manfred, just curious, other than the sentimentality of it, why do you like that Hane rod so much? Do you fish with splitshot or heavy-weighted flies only when fishing tenkara?

May I ask if you've ever fished other tenkara rods that are not from Tenkara USA? I am a fan of TUSA so I don't mean to knock them in any way… BUT, Reason I ask is that the Hane rod is ULTRA stiff – its a bit closer to the traditional style of fly rods, and not as flexible as many other Tenkara rods that are a lot more fun to fish – especially if you use tenkara flies, dry flies, or unweighted flies.

I'm not 100% sure why Ryan and Daniel ended this collaboration, but I'd guess its because it doesn't really fish like a "traditional" tenkara rod, and I know that Daniel is committed as a purist to Tenkara. He has since developed rods that fish much better than this. I suspect that this rod was designed to RJ's specifications which were likely rather specific. Maybe they fit your fishing style… maybe not?

I would highly suggest exploring some rods either from Tenkara USA or from Tenkarabum as other options. If you'd like to post up what kind of fishing you do – as in, how big is the stream or river, how big are the fish you are trying to catch in length, and what kind of fish are they?

I'd be happy to recommend some other rods that might fit your style? Have you spent much time casting with tenkara rods that are more flexible, and what do you think about them?

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Adam,

Thanks for asking. I love the Hane for its stiffness. I take it for sizable bass from my packraft on the lakes here. It's great for that. When backpacking with my wife and our kids I bring all our Tenkara poles (Iwana, Rhodo, Clarkii) The other poles are more fun with the small trout in the Sierra, but the Hane is very efficient. It would be a shame if the pole can not be repaired. I would love to find the spare part and take the Hane back out.

Manfred

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

TUSA rods are great, but as already noted – some can be very stiff. This is due to high fiberglass core content compared to more pure carbon rods (which is why some of them are pretty heavy by Tenkara standards). This does allow to land stronger and bigger fish, but its casting action is also very different.

I highly recommend trying a few different rods just for fun. They have different purposes and everyone has preferences (i love my bamboo rods for example), but knowing those may result in some eye opening experiences.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Manfred, ok I've got you covered… (sorry not on the replacement part for your hane…)

BUT I want to introduce you to the idea of a Keiryu rod. Are you familiar? Keiryu fishing is basically a different style of fishing similar to Tenkara, but where, traditionally in japan, the fishermen find and use live bait from the bottom of the stream – stonefly nymphs, small red worms from the bank, grasshoppers, or caddis nymphs. I digress… anyway, they typically use longer rods with a stiffer backbone to be able to catch larger fish.

This is where your bass fishing and lakes fishing will get interesting… because these rods fish bigger water and larger fish well, while still taking smaller fish without being overkill. They can be a lot of fun. The rods differ but its nice to have something with a strong backbone and a slightly stiffer tip, which it sounds like is exactly what you are looking for?

I might recommend the Daiwa for your needs, this particular one:

http://www.tenkarabum.com/daiwa-kiyose.html

Many Tenkara and Keiryu fishermen are purists, and some tenkara fans would laugh at the idea of a keiryu rod. But you'll be laughing all the way to a "many" day, as you'll be landing fish anywhere you want left and right. Furthermore, you'll have the flexibility to use the rod for different scenarios.

I highly suggest fishing it with a shorter line and an average length of tippet on the river – long rod, short line yields the most irresistible drifts that the trout just cannot ignore.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

+1 on the Kiyose line.
    I'd be happy to send you a "33SF" for a test drive.

Also, from experience, I know that a replacement section will have issues. The tolerances at each end are often obtained by hand sanding. If the next section is to fat for the replacement you can sand it down to get a better fit. If the replacement section is to small in diameter for the "preceding" section, you'll need to spray on a durable enamel (e.g. Krylon Clear), sand, test, and repeat. The ultimate test will happen on the water, during a cast … and then you may have to chase the end of your rod and line.

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

I just placed my order for my first tenkara style rods. I ordered 2 keiryu rods, a Daiwa Kiyose 33SF also the small stream kit with the Nissin Fine Mode Kosansui 270. I can't wait for them to show up. After reading about every rod on tenkarabums, those 2 sounded the best for backpacking and fishing the local streams here in so cal.

I have broken my share of fly rods and it sucks. I wish you luck in finding a replacement for your broken section.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Matt, that's awesome. Those are all great rods. I fished the nissin fine mode kosansui two weekends ago and it was really a nice rod.

When I use a shorter rod, I'm also going for smaller fish most of the time, so I like a softer rod, like the Air Stage 240, for example, but that really limits the size of the fish I can catch.

Your kosansui can catch fish that are much larger because its a stiffer rod in comparison. It has great action too. Sort of like the ultimate "in between" rod. The Kiyotaki 24 is even stiffer, if you like the short rod with the stiff feel.

I went in the other direction and fell in love with the Air Stage and now a Suntech Kurenai. Its a 300 instead of a 240 and it has the most insanely soft tip… with a little practice you could probably whip an actual fly right out of the air with it… saving up to buy one right now. I've never seen such an accurate small rod in my life :)

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. I can't wait for them to show up to fish them. I took a long hard look at the Air Stage 240 but wanted a little beefer rod to start out with. About 90% of the fish I'll catch will be trout under 12" but there are some small over grown urban streams around here that have nice size bass and carp and I wanted a little stiffer rob for that.

The Suntech Kurenai looks like a awesome rod. I think that might be my next rob. Time to start saving.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Figured I'd share some pics from my outing with the air stage today…Brook TroutRod and fly used for that fishAnother brook troutA small wild brook trout stream... broken walls and dams make for great plunge pools!

Matthew Turner
    BPL Member

@annex138

My new toys were delivered today. I can't wait to try them out on some of the local streams but will have to wait a few days. We are getting some much needed rain but I am getting cabin fever. I want to play with my new toys.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

How are you enjoying your new toys? Figured I'd check in to see if you'd gotten any action yet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools