Topic

35L Ultralight Pack for $30 – First Impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 35L Ultralight Pack for $30 – First Impressions

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I saw these a little while back and had to check them out for the price. It just came in today, and so far I'm happy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35L-Waterproof-Hiking-Camping-Climbing-Travel-Rucksack-Backpack-Outdoor-/191154864544?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c81b7c1a0 – there are a lot of different sellers with this same item so you may want to shop around.

It came in at 27.3 oz out of the box, and I quickly took it down to 25.3 with a little trimming (removed padded inner laptop pocket and trimmed some straps). There's a flexible plastic and foam framesheet inside that would get rid of a lot more weight, but it wasn't immediately obvious how to get it out without messing with any important seams. I may revisit that.

The only issue I've noted so far is that the torso is very short. Asian sizing, I guess. To solve that, I cut off the load-lifters leaving a little extra webbing, then sewed that directly to the shoulder strap. So now the straps attach at the very top of the bag. It still seems a tad short, but we'll see how it goes.

Some of the hardware seems a little cheap, but overall it seems like it should hold up just fine! Definitely a great deal for anyone on a tight budget!

I can post photos tomorrow if anyone's interested.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Well yeah! We love good deals!

Pls post pics

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Looks like a great deal and nice option for kids as well.

Lou Z
    BPL Member

@lugee

Locale: Southern California

Can you do a quick measurement of the torso height so we can get a good idea of the figment? I looked at the numbers and the total height of the bag is about 20 inches.

This has got to be the oddest pack ever. They copied the ULA logo, and added the REI Flash logo to the side.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

I don't think they just added the logo -this seriously looks just like the old Flash 30!! But, it comes in a wider variety of colors, and it's so much cheaper!! might be nice for a MYOG project, like what Tony did with his old REI Jet UL (predecessor to REI Flash 30, and very similar).

EDIT: it looks just the flash 30, EXCEPT for the orange ice-axe cords at the neck of the pack. The ice-axe loops are on both.

EDIT2: Oh, also, the padding for the back is shaped a little differently.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

From the bottom of the hipbelt to the original connection point of the shoulder straps, I measured 16". With my modification, it's now more like 18.5-19". When looking at the tape measure photo below, keep in mind that the hipbelt straps attach about an inch above the bottom of the pack.

Photos below, click for higher resolution:

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I too would like to know what the torso size it. I need something for my wife. This looks perfect IF it will fit. I'm not against a little modification. ;^)

Sorry, missed the post of the measurements. Thanks!

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Yep, it's definitely a Flash 30 clone. Maybe from the same factory even! Looking at the specs from REI, here are a few differences besides the ones you noted:

– Hipbelt doesn't adjust with a forward pull, it's just a basic buckle.
    – Framesheet is not removable
    – Only one internal reservoir hook
    – Cheaper hardware

And, uh, that's about it. Maybe some differences in sizing, but this might be just the same as the small size Flash 30.

Oh, by the way, it does fit a rolled-up RidgeRest SOL Short inside, burrito style. In case you were wondering.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

For the price and all, it could make a great daypack. Does it have load lifters?

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Gordon, it did, but they were too low to be useful for me so I removed them and sewed the attachment point directly to the shoulder strap.

I'm actually planning to use this as my primary pack for short (1-2 night) trips without a bear can. Everything fits if I put my quilt and puffy in a compression sack.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

That is definitely a near clone of the old Flash 30. The only difference I can see is with the hipbelt and backpanel. I would bet that the vendor that made these for REI just kept on trucking with some new fabric colors (which look great!) after REI abandoned the pack.

Luckily I hoarded a few Flash 30's in the large size when they went on sale for $50! Even with the large, the torso is very small.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for the post – I ordered two of them yesterday (one red and one green) for my 8 year-old twin girls. I figured I had nothing to lose and they'll be excited to have new packs.

For my part it will be nice for them to have a pack that holds more than their sleeping bag and a water bottle…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I ordered the two packs on Wednesday, July 27th and, through the miracle of modern mail handling, they arrived from China on Thursday, September 4th!

The packs are perfect for my daughters and they can't wait to get outside and use them.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Did you all get the pack for $30? I do see that there are several sellers, but the pack is around $36-$37 with all of them…maybe I missed a sale.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Mine came as well and paid $30+. Nice pack but a bit small for me for serious use as the torso length is pretty small. With the load lifters fully engaged it comes closer but I may cut the shoulder straps and reattach them at the top seam which should make it workable. For someone short it is a nice little pack and the $30 price can't be beat.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Backpack-Mountaineering-FKB879-Black/dp/B00K66NR0I

Showing at $38.99 right now but you don't have to wait for it to come from China.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Yeah…I'm looking at this pack as a replacement for a deuter fox 30 which my 7 (almost 8) year old is currently using, which weighs 39 oz….

I guess I might just need to wait a few days to see if prices go back down to ~$30….

Edit: Oh…nvm..I just keep searching through the listings and finally found one that was $30. Though under a different name -> "Fashion Unisex Bag Cycling Riding Hiking Backpack 35L Bag for Outdoor Sport #M5 "

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

I just picked up one of these on Aliexpress.com for $27 shipped, arrived 14 days later. As others were saying, it's a tad short, but not as bad as I thought. I'm confident that I can make some simple mods to turn this into a decent fastpack/large daypack/weekender overnight pack.

Mine also weighed 27.3 oz on my scale when it arrived today, I haven't done any mods to lighten it yet but those are coming. I think it's going to be a cool little pack.

Edit: Just for grins, I put my Bearvault 500 in it and it slid in fairly easily, but doesn't leave a lot of room for other stuff.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

I ended up cutting the shoulder straps at the connection point and reattaching them at the seam where the upper flap is sewn. At 6' 3", this seems to be the right size for my torso. In the original position, the pack ended up riding real low and away from the shoulders. In the new position, the pack rides nicely on the hips and the top is much closer to the back. I thought about reattaching the load lifters, but theres not much above to attach them to, and I never really used load lifters with UL loads anyway.

photo Modded Local Lion Side.jpg

The OP mentioned a laptop pocket, mine doesn't have one. It does have a small but well padded bladder pouch (too small for any laptop, except a tablet hybrid) that I am looking at removing to trim additional weight.

f b
    BPL Member

@xxtraloud

sorry maybe I am missing the point. But I have a patagonia chacabuco 32L pack that weighs 27 oz. and I paid for it $50 or so.

How is this so much better?

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

It's not necessarily better, just a less expensive option. In doing a quick search, I'm not seeing the Chacabuco for less than $99 right now, although there may be a deal going somewhere.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I got a ULA Relay for $40 at the PCT kickoff and a GG G4 for $80 when it was on sale several years ago. Not cheaper but at least made by locals. I've since sold the G4 for nothing but I think the "buyer" gave me $20 anyway. Can't be that price!

It's nice pack you found, though. It looks a heck of a lot like stuff I've seen at Costco.

f b
    BPL Member

@xxtraloud

I got mine when it was on sale as the new model was coming out and had also a coupon. It does feel too heavy but if you guys consider this cheap pack only weighs a few oz less than mine, is mine considered too heavy?

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

"It's nice pack you found, though. It looks a heck of a lot like stuff I've seen at Costco."

I didn't find it, the OP did. But it's not really like anything I've seen at Costco, Walmart, etc. When you pick up one of the Costco packs, you know immediately that it's not UL. This one feels light when you pick it up and has very good suspension if you fit it. It's definitely closer to an REI pack, more specifically the discontinued Flash 30, of which it appears to be a very close clone as a few others have pointed out.

Almost all my packs are either MYOG or locally made, including a G4. I'd prefer that, but most textile based products from major manufacturers are made overseas, including Patagonia, Osprey, etc. The Chacabuco is made in Vietnam.. You have to go cottage or foreign anymore with few exceptions. One of my MYOG packs is about 30l and weighs 5 oz, including waist strap, and fits the need that I would have used a GG pack for.

I put this Local Lion pack (the name on the label) more into the category of the "Jack Wolfskin" wind jacket and the BRS-3000t stove that are popular around here. It's not perfect and some people may have to mod it to make it work for them, but I think it's going to be a nice, comfortable UL pack that is lighter yet 1/3 the cost of some of the offerings that I was looking at from Marmot, Osprey, etc.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

So I'm looking at the stitching on these packs and from the little bit I can see it doesn't look very robust. Has anyone taken this on a 2-3 day trio with food, water, and gear? My guess, given past experiences in life, is that the pack may not return intact

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools