Topic

Are all inflatable pads measured by their deflated dimensions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Are all inflatable pads measured by their deflated dimensions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

I found my first foray into inflatables left a sour taste and slight distrust. My new Neoair Xtherm measures on 23" inflated but the full 25" once delated. We don't measure tent footprints by laying out the fly flat on the ground… Why is measuring the packed (aka, useless) dimensions acceptable for this genre?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

So, like fast-food burgers, sleeping pads are advertised using their "pre-cooked" weights?

Get a good law firm, research the misleading diagonal measurement lawsuit (that was over $100 million), and consider a class-action suit. Although I doubt it would add up to $100 million.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Why is measuring the packed (aka, useless) dimensions acceptable for this genre?
    A very good question, but I can think of a number of answers.

Because that is a measurement which anyone can make, reproducibly.

Because the inflated dimension varies according to the amount of inflation.

Because that is how the mfr cuts out the fabric.

And finally, the fine print often states that the measurement is taken with the mat deflated.

Yeah, I know, not exactly what you wanted, but have you tried measuring pack volumes to the ASTM Standard and comparing that to the mfr's claims? Packs are far worse.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Roger, the exception to the "deflated" measurements is the thickness. That is always the "inflated" measurement.

–B.G.–

Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

That would be a welcomed improvement for listed specs… a table showing width at various inflations:

0% (deflated) 25in wide
    50% (soft) 24in wide
    100% (firm) 23in wide

AT Hiker

@nooga

Locale: East TN

Do any of the inflatable manufactures provide the inflated dimensions? I would add that I find the weights provided by Thermarest to be overstated compared to actual weights.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Manufactures are full of $hit. They purposefully fool us, but just enough to not get in trouble.

As someone above mentioned, think of the thickness. They ALWAYS state the inflated amount. However, with length and width, they ALWAYS mention the deflated size. Essientially, what ever is bigger. It is in their favor. Not ours.

Think of tent weights – trail weight, packed weight, and minimal weight.

Fast food joints measure their burgers' calorie amounts based on sandwhiches without cheese, mayo, ext….. who gets these?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bob

> Roger, the exception to the "deflated" measurements is the thickness. That is always
    > the "inflated" measurement.
    True, but when you lie on the mat, it is never that thick :-)

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Now why didn't I ever think of this problem? But then I have never measured an inflatable pad. I just blow them up and sleep on 'em :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools