Topic

MontBell bags: Difference between Alpine Down Hugger and Super Stretch Down Hugger?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MontBell bags: Difference between Alpine Down Hugger and Super Stretch Down Hugger?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

Does anyone know the difference between these two lines of bags? I'm zeroing in on a #3, but I don't know which to get.

From what I can tell, the Alpine is lighter, cheaper, and maybe doesn't stretch as much. The Super Stretch is heavier, more expensive, and may stretch more.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You got it. The difference is in stretchability, with a little bit weight penalty for all the elastics.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

OK, that helps. Well, I might go for the Alpine one then because I've read reviews of that one and the reviewer said it was plenty stretchy. And it is lighter.

Also, the Alpine has the vertical baffles in the chest area, so you have less of a chance of getting cold spots from a smaller square baffle being underfilled in the Super Stretch (the BPL review and some others have noticed this). I guess you could have a whole vertical baffle get underfilled, but then I'd just return it.

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

I have owned the Alpine and it was a quality bag (#5). I thought the vertical baffles were effective. If I were to buy again, though, I would purchase the super stretch for the added comfort.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Our need for space is all different, but just to give you some ideas:

I'm 5'9", 150lbs and a side sleeper — and the No. 3 Alpine is just right for me — and not overly spacious. However, I have read another poster liking his as well — and he weighs 170-175lbs.

darren stephens

@darren5576

Locale: Down Under

G'Day Mate
    I have a super stretch down hugger 3 as my 3 season bag and I love it. I know it might be a touch heavier but it has so much room. It seems a lot of the US bags are narrower than what we use or like over here. Its just preference I suppose. But once you have tried the stretch system you won’t go back.
    Hope this helps

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

MontBell's claim to fame in the sleeping bag world is the SS. It is unique and worth both the slight extra weight and money. Nothing like having a bag that's snug, but yet lets you move around or stretch. I just returned from using mine for four weeks on the LT.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Charles, I own both types.
    On the 2007s the difference is the stretch baffles on the outside of the Alpine models hardly stretch at all. The inner baffles stretch quite a bit. Therefore the inner layer hugs the occupant and reduces the dead air, but will not stretch any larger than the outside circumfrence of the bag.
    On the SSDHs there are fully stretching baffles on the inside and outside so the bag stretches more than any other on the market. For example, the 2006 Longs stretch to a circumfrence of 75.6" at the shoulders.
    The difference is the same for the synthetic fill Burrow bags.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

I'm 6' 3" and 224 lbs, so maybe I should get the Super Stretch long instead of the Alpine long…I wish I could go check them out in person, but we don't have much to look at in Kansas.

Thanks for the information.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

At that size you'll definitely want the Super Stretch in my opinion. You won't regret it!

There are reviews of multiple MontBell bags at http://www.backpackgeartest.org

Hope that helps!

-Curt

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Me and the missus have the #5 & #3 Alpine Downs.
    She sleeps cooler than me hence the #3. We are both 5'-8 ish and trim. The bag has a lot of space, I find it OK when wearing a down vest inside (40" chest).
    For me the #5 is good down to 0 degrees C with downvest and thin thermal underwear in a tarptent on a clear night with a slightbreeze (on a T'rest Prolite 4).
    If you are buying in a shop, pull out all the bags and get the one with most even down distribution (hold it up to the light).
    I love the size and weight of these bags and they have box baffles, not sewn through.
    Good luck.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Now, to find a good price. Campsaver.com has it for 20% off ($232), but Campsaver seems to have 20% coupons floating around, just not right now. So I guess I'll wait for another 20% coupon and hope it is still on sale for 20% off.

BTW, I sold my old bag and am going backpacking next weekend–I have no bag now. The low will be 42. I'll be wearing a lot of clothes and bringing blankets (if they fit in my pack). Brrr.

I could get the MontBell #3 right now for $254 w/2 day shipping, but I'm too cheap and will wait.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Considering that a good down bag properly cared for will last you ten years or more — I say you should just pay the stupid $22 extra rather than "freeze to death". I bet you'll be spending a lot more than that on gas alone, so why risk ruining a trip? BTW, it doens't hurt to call the store and ask for a discount — particularly since you mentioned those discounts seem to float around.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Sometimes Ben and I disagree (haha) but here I agree! Why go unprepared over a few dollars. Buy the bag now and start enjoying it and don't risk a crappy trip or worse. I've done 40 deg with just a bivy and a jacket. It's not that much fun and certainly worth $22 not to have to do it again :)

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

It is $67 with the additional 20% off and 2 day shipping. I may still do it. I have a pad, polypropelene mid weight underwear, balaklava (sp?), microfiber blankets (heavy, but its only 2 nights). I'll make a final decision today.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You're betting on the 20% coupon showing up WHILE the 20% Off sale on the MontBell bag is still going on. Have you actually seen this combination often enough before to warrant the wait? I have my doubts.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Oh, and one other reason to get the SS bag in the long size. The Alpines are in fact shorter than the specs indicate. I am 6'3" and weigh 175. My SS is a long and I cannot touch the bottom of the bag when I have the hood cinched down. I also have an Alpine and it is a very tight fit in the length.

I would describe the diference as that between fitted jeans and relaxed jeans.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Sorry I could not contribute this comment as Ive been away, but yes, get the Long bag, for many reasons. Of course your height, but you will also have more room for layers, and could fit a second occupant in an emergency, can layer two bags one inside another, etc.. Things you can only do with a super-stretch.

If money really is the object, get a new 2006 from the outlet in Japan, about $75 less.(I could help you with that) In fact I'm buying a new #5 long for a BPL member tonight. Only problem is choices are limited. I might have to get him a 3 or 7, or zippered (he wants zipperless).

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

I'm just a bargain fanatic.

I'll be getting the long Super Stretch. Thanks for all the information…this has helped a lot.

I've read posts from people that CampSaver coupons work on sale items. I've done this on a lot of other websites. If they don't have a coupon before it gets too cold, no biggie, I'll just get the bag.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Charles,

Are you talking about something like 20% CampSaver Coupon?

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

I signed up but haven't gotten the code yet. Also, sometimes they just release a code for 20% off (Memorial Day, etc).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools