Topic

Outback Oven – Thumbs up?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Outback Oven – Thumbs up?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Fellow Food Friends,
    I have recently been looking into the Outback Oven and similar devices for baking on the trail. Reason: I have my girlfriend on the UL kick, but she really doesn't enjoy many of the freeze dried foods…so when she saw the Outback in the local MEC, I said I would ask a few questions.
    I did some searching, and there isn't too much info on the product regarding usage, but there are several home made…but I'm lazy today too. I was looking for some advice.
    Is the outback oven a good choice for baking on the trail – I'm very interested in anyone who has tried the pizza in it.
    What size would you recomend? The 10" or the ultralight version. It seems the weight difference isn't very much.
    What pan/pot would you use with the UL version.
    What kind of weight is this thing, the stated MFG weight is almost always off.
    Thanks for any help!
    Steve

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Ask yourself:
    Will I be using this to do more than biscuits or pizza once in awhile?

You might look into the Bake Packer as well, which can prepare full meals. The homemade Fauxbaker I made is a tiny version of the full sized Bake Packer (I have a small pan). It comes in a somewhat UL version for 2 people.

Don't make her eat freeze dried meals, but rather get her into the cooking. Let her plan the meals. She will come around pretty fast if she overplans and is doing to hard of meals. ;-) On the other hand, you might eat well!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Sarah, thanks for the reply, I am going to look at the Bake Packer later today. As for how often I would use it, I was hoping that I could make it my only cook setup when I went with my girlfrind. We only go for a night and rarely go for 2 nights. So yes, I was hoping I could still use the pan for pancakes in the morning, or even rig it to boil water. Am I totally off on this thinking? Do most use the ovens for nice goodies only and then still bring a pot to boil water or make a pasta/rice dish?
    Thanks again,
    Steve

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The bakepacker is actually a pot insert so assuming you clean the pot after you're done baking you can use it for boiling water or whatever.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

It is several years old but:

OUTBACK OVEN:
    SCORCH PLATE/RISER 3.9
    SKILLET 10.1
    COVER 4.9
    HOOD 3.7
    THERMOMETER 0.9
    MESH BAG 1.0

The pizzas are great.

Fresh rolls in the morning are a treat.

There may be an overheating problem if used with a set on top canister stove. Stability IS a problem with set on top canister stoves.

It is fun for winter and base camp, but I would not hike it.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

OK, thanks for the replies. I looked at the bake packer, and it is definitely lighter and more usable with the setup I already have, but it bakes by boiling water in your pot. Is it possible to "brown" the baked goods, or create a crispy layer…seems if I made a pizza/muffins like this it may turn out rather soggy. However, the bakepacker website has pizza and muffins listed.

So I guess I am asking what type of results people have had from the bakepacker.

Sarah? Chris?

Richard, thanks for posting the weights. That is a major weight penalty…but I bet that pizza is dang tasty.

Steve
    p.s. I love pizza.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The major drawback to the Bake Packer is you don't get browned items-but and a big but!, the stuff is moist and tender, not soggy :-) Also there is the matter of NO cleanup! (Since everything is done in bags).
    You can also use the Bake Packer to make dinners as well.

But…and Outback will give you crisp crusts and browning :-)

If she is only going out with you for overnights, in all reality the extra weight of an oven won't kill you :-)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks for the advice…so I went ahead and purchased the UL version of the Outback Oven. Total weight on my scale is 7.8 oz, and I use it with my 1.3 L Ti Pot. I took it out this weekend, it bakes a mean pizza (took me 3 tries to get it right) and a serious brownie (raw in the center). A little more experience and I should have it down pat. I wasn't sure how well it would work with the Ti pot, but it isn't a problem at all. I do use the parchment paper so there really is no clean up. Thanks for the tips!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools