Topic

Cuben pyramid – Hex

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben pyramid – Hex

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hello everyone,

I had a member contact me in regards to making a cuben hex pyramid inspired by John's thread here – http://tinyurl.com/nwrme5f. The main differences are fabric, two vents instead of none, a #5 zipper instead of #3, and this one is a little bit lighter. It took 8yds of blue CT1k.08 cuben with all seams taped(1" 3m 9460pc). Weight before mid-panel guy outs is 9.7oz, so with them included it should fall in the 9.8oz range. Thanks for looking. Any questions let me know.

Forgive the pitch. I only have one semi-flat place in my yard and this pyramid is larger than that spot.

If you've made it this far you deserve better scenery than my yard. Enjoy.

Ryan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

With that pitch you should be ashamed, Ryan!

Just pack up that masterpiece and ship it to me before your lack of pitching skills ruins that shelter! :)

Wow that looks nice, man. Great work.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Looks great! What dimensions did you use? What about cat curve amount?

It looks like you made smarter use of fabric than I did. Did you split the panels in two, with a trapezoid base and triangle top?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Thanks John & Todd. Yep, used a trapezoid with a triangle at the top to complete each section. A little extra work but makes it cheaper for the member overall. The other four yards would have put the price quite a bit higher. Cat cut was 1.25" and the size of each triangle was basically the same that you used.

The peak area was the most difficult just because there is a lot going on in a small space. Vents, vent covers, peak reinforcement inside & out, webbing for a nest, etc. Tape going everywhere! Plus, there are a couple stitches in the vent covers which required additional reinforcement. In some ways, taping cuben is easier than sewing, but not always.

I still need to go back and add a guy out on two sides to allow it to be used as a 4-sided mid similar to a duomid.

Ryan

Jesus Cardenas
    BPL Member

@dmolition

I really like your idea and I consider duplicating it.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Very nice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools