Topic

OT-SHEP14

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedAug 21, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I've written enough about the Kern, so I'm not going to do another typical trip report. Rather, I thought I'd just post up a representative set of pictures from a recent 6 day trip Fred and I did up there. We caught it in a very unusual mood this time, wet and soggy for 4 days, unsettled for one, and 100 degree heat our last day when we got down near Symmes Creek. The high point of the trip was a really nice day hike that covered both arms of Milestone Basin, one which I hadn't done in quite a while. It was really a sweet, nostalgic feeling to get back in there again and revisit one of the best campsites I have ever found. Many a night has been spent there with a good friend in front of a comforting fire(back when they were OK) passing a flask of fine Armenian cognac back and forth.

That was also the day when the heavens really opened up and dumped enough rain to put Fred's tent in a pool of water and leave him marooned on his sleeping pad trying to keep his bag dry.

The super storm on July 21, 2013, rearranged a lot of furniture on the Shepherd Pass trail, including cutting a huge channel ~15-20 feet deep and 20-25 feet wide just below Anvil Camp. It is passable, but requires a bit of care to avoid a slip which would almost certainly remove some skin. The headwall was also loosened up quite a bit, and gets a bit tedious near the top. It takes a bit longer to do the route now, but the good news is you won't be seeing any horse packers up there for a long, long time.

Kern001

Kern004

Kern006

Kern010

Kern012

Kern013

Kern014

Kern018

Kern021

Kern027

Kern033

Kern035

Kern040

Kern045

Kern046

Kern049

Kern052

Kern054

Kern055

Kern059

Kern062

Kern063

Kern068

Kern070

Kern075

Kern077

Kern081

Kern083

Kern087

Kern090

Kern095

Kern096

Kern100

Kern101

Kern103

Kern106

Kern111

Kern116

Kern117

Kern122

Kern125

Kern128

Kern129

Kern138

Kern141

Kern142

Kern143

Kern144

Kern149

Kern151

Kern152

PostedAug 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Some of those pics bring back some pretty good memories Tom. Gotta get back up there with you some day.

Brendan S BPL Member
PostedAug 21, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Awesome Tom. I've always noted your TRs from the area as somewhere I've gotta get to sometime.

PostedAug 21, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Thank you, Brendan. I think you'd be right at home up there from what I've seen of your TR's. Maybe we'll run into each other up there someday.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...