Topic

First Time Sierra Gear List – Advice Needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First Time Sierra Gear List – Advice Needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

I am heading out to the Sierra for the first time next month. I have been honing in on a lightweight system for a while now. I am pretty happy with my kit for the East Coast but want to enlist some expert advice to see how it will transfer to the Sierra.

I will be soloing the High Sierra Trail September 18 – 22.

The detailed list is available here: http://lighterpack.com/r/6k4zkg

I starred everything where the weight is either an estimate or based on manufacturers specs. My base weight comes in at just under 14 lbs. Starting out with 5 days of food and 2 lbs of water I should max out at 23.5 lbs on day one.

Clothing – Worn

Icebreaker Tech T – 5.4 oz
    Patagonia Quandary Shorts – 7.9 oz
    Smartwool Boxers – 2.6 oz
    EMS Sun Hat – 2.2 oz
    Sunglasses – 1.4
    Smartwool PhD Light Socks – 1.9 oz
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Trail Running Shoes – 29 oz

Clothing – Packed

Patagonia Cap 2 Long Sleeve Crew Top – 5.1 oz
    Marmot Synthetic Long Underwear – 7.2 oz
    Golite Selkirk Down Jacket – 6.5 oz
    Frogg Toggs Ultralight 2 Rain Jacket – 5.4 oz
    Frogg Toggs Ultralight 2 Rain Pants – 3.8 oz
    Mountain Hardwear Powerstretch Gloves – 1.5 oz
    Mountain Hardwear MicroDome Hat – 1.0 oz
    Spare Smartwool PhD Light Socks – 1.9 oz

I am a big fan of merino base layers. I went with the Patagonia Capilene 2 mid-layer as I thought its fast drying capabilities would complement the wool nicely. My rain jacket will serve as my wind protection and as an additional layer should it get really cold.
    I was considering skipping either the rain pants or the long underwear but after reading about the crazy weather people have been experiencing this year I am leaning towards taking both.

Pack/Storage

Gossamer Gear Mariposa – 22.9 oz
    Organizer (First aid kit bag) – 2 oz
    Dry Bag – 1.6 oz
    MYOG Hip Belt Pouch – 2 oz (estimate)

The pack is an older model size medium I picked up on BPL (for $45!). I believe it is a size medium but I am not sure what model year it is. I use a free (if you buy 3 first aid related items) drug store first aid kit for all of my small stuff. I think this one is well worth the 2 oz. I use my dry bag for my extra clothing and it doubles as a pillow at night. I am working on a MYOG pouch for my hip belt.

Shelter

8×10 MYOG Tarp with Beak – 22 oz (estimate)
    Ground Cloth – SOL Emergency blanket – 2.7 oz
    Stakes – 3.9 oz

My tarp comes in at 17.7 oz before seam sealing or adding the beak. I do not have any bug protection, but I heard that it should not be an issue in this dry year.
    I am using an emergency blanket as a ground cloth. I like using my sleeping pad in the sit pad pocket of my Mariposa but get nervous with it being exposed so I will be using the ground cloth to protect it while underway. It will also serve as a (d’uh) emergency blanket.

With the beak attached, I will need 8 stakes for my tarp. I am mostly using aluminum Y stakes from DIY gear supply. I will also be using a couple of Titanium hook stakes and an REI snow stake which will double as a trowel.

Sleeping System

Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 – 24.4 Oz (listed value with stuff sack and straps)
    REI Flash Inflatable Sleeping Pad – 16.3 oz

I just got the quilt to replace my 40 degree bag which wasn’t going to cut it. When camping back East I use a hammock so I think this is a great choice.

Hydration

Sawyer Mini – 1.9 oz
    Sawyer Dirty Bag – 1 oz
    Camelback Antidote 70 oz Reservoir – 6.5 oz
    Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter – 0.2 oz
    Gatorade 750 ml Bottle with insulated sleeve– 1.7 oz
    Scoop (cut down water bottle with 1 micron pre-filter) – 1 oz (estimate)

The layers of the Sawyer bag seem to separating at the corners but it seems structurally sound. Has anyone actually had one of the newer bags fail? If the bag were to fail I would switch the filer to inline. On a side note I love the fast-fill adapter as it lets me fill the bladder without pulling it out of my bag.

Cooking

MYOG Esbit Cookset – 2.7 oz
    Sea-To-Summit Spork (long handle) – 0.5 oz
    Bear Can – BearVault BV500 – 40.5 oz (ouch)

Here are some details on the cookset: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=93460&skip_to_post=794993#794993

Tools

Exped Alpine 125 Trekking Poles – 14.2 oz
    Black Diamond Storm Headlamp – 3.3 oz
    Knife – 1.4 oz
    Map – 1.7 oz
    Compass – 0.5 oz

Gadgets

iPhone + Lifeproof waterproof case + Headphones – 6.4 oz
    Battery Pack – 2.4 oz
    Camera + Stickpick – 4 oz
    Satellite Phone – 9.4 oz

Okay, I know I am going to take some crap for carrying 1.4 lbs of electronics, so let me explain a little. For logistic reasons I need to carry everything I need to get from Visalia through my hike and then back to Boston, there is no way that is happening without my iPhone. Having never been to the β€œRange of Light” before, I want to get better pictures than my phone is capable of, hence the camera. Finally the Sat Phone is a condition from my wife if I want her to be there when I get back.

Miscellaneous

Cleaning and sanitation – 4.6 oz
    Pack Towel (13’ x 8.5’) – 0.8 oz
    First aid – 2 oz
    Candle – 1.8 oz
    Lighter – .5 oz
    Repair – 1.2 oz
    Suntan lotion – 2 oz

I tried to include absolutely everything in the miscellaneous section as I have been guilty of adding a bunch of crap at the last minute and blowing up my weight estimates in the past. My first aid is minimal and includes some pills (Advil + Immodium + Sudafed), bandaids, and one patch of gauze and some Neosporin. I also have Duct tape (on my trekking pole) and Tenacious Tape (part of repair kit) if I need a larger bandage or splint. One thing I left off but was wondering about since every other gear list includes it is chapstick. I never use it back east but should I bring some in the dryer west?

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Looks like a good list! Similar to my own Sierra list in a lot of ways. A few notes:

– You might get cold at night or in the mornings. The Selkirk looks very lightweight, and last year in September I found myself shivering with a much heavier jacket. If it were me, I would throw in a lightweight fleece vest or something of that sort. That said, you can always hop in bed or wrap yourself in your quilt.

– For that same reason, I think you're wise to bring both the rainpants and the long underwear. Good choice.

– This may just be personal preference, but at the temperatures you're likely to experience I like having a buff or facemask to sleep in when using a hoodless quilt. Otherwise my nose freezes off.

– Chapstick is a good idea. Chapstick with sunscreen is an even better idea. For me, it's a necessity. Sunburned lips suck. Banana Boat has some SPF 50 sport lip balm, in the Sierras I've had more success with that than with the SPF 15 Chapstick. On that note, you're wearing shorts and short sleeves, so know thy skin and make sure not to skimp on sunscreen. You might consider hiking in long pants and sleeves. It'll be cool enough that you should be fine, and you could ditch the rain pants then (your emergency blanket will fashion a nice MacGyver rainskirt in a pinch).

Luke Cobrae

@flocktothewall

Locale: So Cal

+1 on the Chapstick with Sunscreen, the air is VERY dry, combined with if you breathe in through your mouth at all your lips will be nasty chapped. Just returned last week from 6 days HS Meadows to Whitney and Used my entire chapstick while I was out.

I did Whitney also last year late Sept. expect COLD mornings, ~20* or less. I've been eyeing the Revelation 20 for myself but it may get VERY cold, especially if you plan on camping above Guitar lake the last day. It stays shaded most of the day there.

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

The high SPF Chapstick is in! I had considered pants instead of shorts but I was afraid I would get too hot while hiking. I was planning on temps from the 20's through 80's which my layering should handle fine (albeit chilly on the low end until I get my blood up hiking). Do these temps line up with you experience? If there were more 60s and 70s days the pants would be nice. I like the idea of using the space blanket as a rain skirt, and dropping the rain pants. It might even save me a little weight over going with shorts.

I could add a vest if I needed too, although I would rather avoid spending the $ and carrying the weight if I could. With both shirts, the down and the rain jacket (+ hat and gloves) I can be comfortable at fairly low temps. The Sellirk has a decent amount of down (70 grams) for its weight.

I am short enough (5"8') and curl enough when I sleep that I am not worried about a face mask or baclava. I will wear the hat to bed every night. I had been toying with adding a cut down ACE bandage to my first aid which could double as a scarf.

I also considered adding micro-spikes. Again, I don't want to carry extra weight or spend more $. If more than a few inches are in the forecast when I set out I might pick some up right before hitting the trail.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I wore RR ecomesh pants on the jmt, no problems . I did hike in my compression shorts with ul running shorts over one day in Yosemite because it was so hot at the low elevations. No sunscreen, no bugs, keeps your legs clean too.

I didn't use a bit of either nasty sunscreen or deet.

My favorite gear items were my prescription Oakley sunglasses(good sunglasses are worth the cost) and my down hood

Was very glad I had rainpants and long underwear. Need something dry to put on after hiking in rain all day.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools