Topic

Peanut, almond and nut butters recalled

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Peanut, almond and nut butters recalled

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm410533.htm

The above link has the specific list.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Thanks, I found some MaraNatha No Stir Creamy Almond Butter 12 oz. 051651093682 12 DEC14 thru 21JUL15 in our fridge. I think my wife bought it last week.

This immediately raises the question, "Can I feed it to the dog?" I mean, she licks her own butt, what's a little Salmonella?

If I point out that the cheaper, doesn't-separate, Skippy stuff that I buy (and that my wife doesn't like to feed to the kids) WASN'T recalled, . . . . well, I'll be sleeping in the garage.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

So much for highbrow peanut butter.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I checked the almost empty jar of almond butter in my refrigerator. Yes, it's on the recall list. However, I've been eating it for over a month and my 9-year-old grandson ate it while he was visiting a month ago, with no ill effects. So I'll go ahead and finish the jar.

More info here, including how to get your money back (obviously I won't bother with my almost empty jar):
    http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm410533.htm

Dogs can get salmonella, too!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Heard about the recall on the local news today. Having seen my daughter go through an e coli infection, if there is any doubt, toss it! Food poisoning that doesn't kill you might make you wish you were dead.

My wife and I were talking about peanut butter and the additives. I'm trying to watch salt and sugar so that is on my list of labels to read. Adams original has been a favorite, but it is a pain to stir. I was in the grocery store yesterday and they had a peanut butter grinder and it runs $2.49/lb for grind your own which is half the price of a similar 16oz tub about 10 feet away. I ground up a batch, brought it home and tossed it in the fridge. No stir and low price– works for me!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"I was in the grocery store yesterday and they had a peanut butter grinder"

The one in my store helpfully says, "Warning, may contain . . . peanuts or tree nuts."

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

thanks, I have two jars of the Maranatha almond butter. I never save grocery receipts after they clear my account, wonder if Heinz will give me a hard time getting my money back.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The reasons behind WHY PB gets salmonella is interesting. With peanuts, they must roast them to a high enough temperature to kill the pathogens. Well, in the last huge recall (remember that one last year or two?), it turned out the company was not doing that and worse, falsifying records to say they had.

Even if one makes peanut butter at home, you better hope your peanuts were heated correctly before you got them. Peanuts are nasty little pathogen carriers when raw.

Almonds are also not sold "raw" anymore (well, in the US that is). They are steam pasteurized to …. kill pathogens. Add in that you have both butters made on the same lines, in massive amounts, you get cross contamination happening easily.

One of the things about having a child with severe peanut allergies is you find after a year or so you just don't miss PB anymore. Any of it. Oddly enough, I love Sunbutter now!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools