Topic

make trekking sticks lighter&shorter[pics]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) make trekking sticks lighter&shorter[pics]

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

File this under "obvious" if you like, but I just realized today I could make my trekking sticks shorter, when packed, by separating them into their component sections.
    That small difference in length allows me to store them completely inside my pack as opposed to strapped to the exterior. This allows for a cleaner appearance, less protrusions on the outside of the pack when bushwhacking, and I could now cut off the tool straps if I wanted to save an ounce or so..

My Black Diamond Flick-lock Trails went from an assembled (but collapsed) length of 64cm to 57cm(22.4"), thus fitting into my 30 liter Cilogear "Schoolbag".
    My old 'Active Masters' poles went from 62 to 53cm, and my Leki Makalaus from 64 all the way down to 57cm. In my OCD way I choose to call this the 'packed' length.

If BD harmonized the three pole section lengths (making them all equal, or 2 together equalling the separated longest section) they could reduce the stored length by another 1.5cm

On some of my poles like the BDs, the wrist straps are easily removed in a non-desctructive way; but on my more expensive Lekis, they are not! I saved 40 grams by removing the BD straps.

Black Diamond Trails
    black diamond trails

Now they fit in my Cilogear 30L
    BDs in the Schoolbag

PS, no, my carpet is not that ugly; its a grass mat I use when laying out gear.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good idea! When flying and checking a backpack, it's definitely safer for the poles to be packed inside. I will keep this 'technique' in mind next time I pack.

BTW, don't be too harsh with your grass mat. Lots of REI packs have even worse color schemes!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>>> File this under "obvious" if you like <<<

Now it is obvious. : )

Will use your great tip soon.

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools