Topic

norway september

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) norway september

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

Hi, i just wanted to ask some opinions here.

I am going to Norway, Rondane, in early september.
    Will not be very high, sleeping at altitudes around max 1500 feet.
    Weather can be awful: rain, heavy winds, etc etc.
    Just got a zpacks hexamid which did great in the test run , in really heavy rains (yes, we get great weather here in Europe:-),
    but am unsure about mountainous areas.
    Also own a regular freestanding Hilleberg Unna, but that weighs triple this weight.

What do you guys think?
    Anyone have experience in similar weather with zpacks tents/tarps?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Try it first in the "Dutch Alps" ;o)

Actually you should be fine.

But if you are a belt-and-suspenders type personality like me or expect strong wind-driven rain you can:

Re-coat the silnylon tent with a 5:1 ratio by volume of 5 parts of odorless mineral spirits to 1 part clear GE Silicone II (or European equivalent). Place in a suitably sized jar with a tight lid. Shake well to mix and shake every 5 minutes while using.

Apply in sections with a very short nap, narrow paint roller – pour small amounts in a roller pan. You can also use a fine bristle brush. Spreading the tent sections on a smooth top table is far better than using the floor.

BE SURE to wipe the excess off each section immediately with a heavy duty paper towel ("shop towel"). Rolling on the mix is faster and gives a more even coat than brushing. Wiping immediately after leaves only the necessary amount on the silnylon, thus reducing weight AND GREATLY REDUCES DRYING TIME by days. Silnylon floors or ground cloths ("footprints") can be coated twice using this method for a heavier coating.

BTW, this procedure will seal the tent exterior seams but I would recommend also coating the interior seams as well. If seams ever leak after this treatment (doubtful) use a 3:1 ratio of mineral spirits to clear silicone caulk for re-sealing. Do NOT wipe this seam seal treatment. Just let it dry in the hot sun. The Netherlands does have hot days, right? My experience with Dutch weather was in late October when it was cold and rainy.

marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

Thanks, but zpacks is cuben ….
    And i'm not camping in Holland….

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, I know its Norway for your trip. "Dutch Alps" was my feeble attempt at a joke.

Being a Tarptent fanboy I was unaware that Z-Packs was Cuben fabric. In that case you should have no leakage problems in the worst storms if the seams are properly sealed.

Good luck getting a decent beer in Norway. I think 3% is the max alcohol level. More government nannying where it's not needed.

Matt Keenan
    Spectator

@mlkeenan

Locale: In the Mountains in the clouds

I have no experience with either Norway or cuben but, if your worried a bivy would be a great and light (no need for any thing over 185 grams) insurance plan. I have used a SMD gatewood cape and MYOG tyvek bivvy in the rainforestes of Nothern CA with great effect. Those were some of the wettest conditions I had ever been out in. Heavy rain high humidity not too much wind in those redwood forests though. A bivy would also add 10 to 15 degrees F of warmth to your sleep system and really cut the wind down. Thats super exciting that you get to go tramping around Norway though should be alot of fun!
    Happy trails,
    Matt

By the way Eric I very much enjoyed your joke!

Also this "Dude" was not sugestting that you should switch to a gatewood cape merely using it as an example of a similar tarp shelter and bivy combo. Big advocate for going with what you ve got

Edited to clarify

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

This dude above probably had the best of intentions, but if you are worried about your hexamid, certainly don't downgrade to a gatewood cape! The hexamid should be fine, if it can handle PCT and AT hikes it can handle your needs. I prefer the newer solplex and duplex tents personally, but you should be just fine with your hexamid! Just make sure you've got the pitching method down and do your best to pitch it into the wind correctly. Have fun on your trip!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have a Hexamid solo. I've found that it has a steep learning curve, in terms of pitching, so I suggest a lot of use/practice in this regard. Also: you mention high winds. I replaced the lines that came with my Hexamid–which I found frayed easily–with sturdier lines on the four essential guy points of this tent. And I added line-locs, attached to the body of the tent. These last have greatly helped me in getting a good pitch to this tent.

I admit that I bought a super light bivy, one that has no head net, precisely to use with this tent if I feared bad weather conditions. This was before I added line-locs to the Hex and became more proficient at pitching the tent. But I'd still take this five ounce bivy with me in rainy conditions! the bivy has a cuben floor but a breathable, rain 'resistant' top. Perfect in combination with a Hex.

Oddbjørn Midbø

@oddbjorn

If you are camping at max 1500 feet you are well beyond tree line and the wind should not be a problem. Most of Rondane is however above 2200 feet and the nice camp spots are between this and up to 4500 feet. The tree line is around 3200 feet.

I had a great weekend there last year in october, but then I was very lucky with the weather. Early september should normally be fine, but prepare for rain, wind and maybe snow in worst case.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

Be prepared for lots of rain. I'm there now.. In summer.. I've been here for 8 days and it's rained every single day. Tent hasn't gone into the bag dry one.

Wim Depondt
    BPL Member

@wim_depondt

Locale: The low countries

You should be prepared for every 3-season weather scenario thinkable. The wind, which can be ferocious in Rondane, would be my primary concern. Most of Rondane is above tree line. If you are willing to (take the time to) be picky about camp sites, you’ll probably be fine with the Zpack. BUT, be prepared for foul weather. Then you’ll probably want to pitch your (tarp)tent at the first flat spot you come across, which might be exposed to high winds. Personally, that would be my primary reason for bringing a proper tent, and not the Zpack.

There however a ‘hybrid’ solution: bring your Zpack. If the weather(forecast) don’t look good, you can plan your walk to one of the – mostly comfortable – DNT-huts in Rondane. Mind you though, most huts become ‘self service’ huts during September: most of the time, you’ll need a universal ‘DNT-key’ to access the hut (or be lucky that another backpacker with a key shows up). Payment can be done in the hut, cash or with credit card. On my website, I’ve written a short piece on how to get this key from your couch at home (read: without having to call by the DNT-office in Oslo).

Wim

PS: if weather predictions look good, you might consider Dovrefjell instead of Rondane: much wilder (but also more exposed to wind and bad weather).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools