Topic

HMG Southwest 3400 weight-saving customizations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG Southwest 3400 weight-saving customizations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Freeman

@ilyqtpie

Buying an HMG Southwest 3400, and I'm curious what other folks have for weight-saving customizations. My base weight (without a pack) is <5lbs.

Some obvious places for weight reduction that I see are removing the hydration port/sleeve and removing the aluminum stays. Are there any other things you can think of for weight reduction? 32 oz is just a little heavy for what I need, but I really value the waterproofness and overall build quality and customer service of HMG.

Thanks for any help!

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I cut out the interior netting for a water bladder on my HMG 4400 SW and trimmed a couple inches off the shoulder and hipbelt straps (I wouldn't touch the compression straps). I think I saved an ounce. IMO, there is almost nothing unnecessary on the pack, so there's not a lot you can do to lighten it, unless you go crazy and start cutting off the hipbelt pockets and side pockets…

If your gear weight without a pack is less than 5 lbs and you are considering using it without the stays, why are you buying an HMG 3400 SW? I'd have imagined that something like the ZPacks Arc Blast or a Gossamer Gear pack would be more suited for you.

William Freeman

@ilyqtpie

I've definitely given that thought – I've just had more hands-on experience with HMG (they're about 10 miles down the road from me) and really love the waterproofness of their packs. I'd be very willing to try a zpacks arc blast (I have a shelter by them!) but I'm not sure about it yet…

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I removed the following items from an HMG Windrider 2400:
    – Chest strap (tossed immediately, didn't weigh)
    – Lower side compression straps (across the pocket)
    – Roll top side straps (clip the ends together)
    – Ice axe loop
    – Ice axe velcro retainer
    – Four plastic loops around the back pocket
    – Pull loop on hydration port

1 ounce – total weight of removed items, except chest strap

I don't use compression straps. Sleeping bag packed loose on the bottom expands to fill space as I eat food or drink water. I have no plans to use an ice axe, or attach more stuff hanging off the back of the pack (worst location for weight), or use a hydration bladder.

On the list to remove:
    – Internal hydration pocket (thought it might be useful for other stuff, it isn't)
    – Triangular fabric flap on each side left after removing other straps (just forgot)
    – Trim shoulder straps
    – Trim hip belt

I kept the upper, diagonal compression strap to keep tall things from falling out of the side pockets (e.g. tent poles). I kept the Y-strap across the top, for strapping gear to the top.

The aluminum stays provided very good weight transfer for a 33.5 pound starting weight on a recent trip: 13.3 pound base weight, 8 days food, 3.5 liters water. For a different trip with a starting weight under 20 pounds, I might temporarily remove the stays.

Everyone will make different decisions on what to remove.

— Rex

William Freeman

@ilyqtpie

Yeah definitely, Rex! Thanks for all the great In-depth info. Really appreciate it! Makes perfect sense. I'm not sure what in going to do now. I think I'm just gonna go talk to Mile at HMG and ask his honest opinion. My pack weight will rarely be above 25lbs with food and water and maybe an HMG pack is just overkill.

Maybe I'll give zpacks a better look and talk to Joe a bit.

Best,
    bill

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Just removed the internal hydration pocket, the triangular flaps, and two shoulder strap clips that (used to) hold my wrist loops; I'm sewing the wrist loops to the pack instead.

Saved another 25 grams (0.9 ounces).

I'll leave the shoulder straps and hip belts alone until I get some winter backpacking experience wearing bulky clothing.

YMMV.

— Rex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools