Topic

the accidental modding of a Rainshadow II

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) the accidental modding of a Rainshadow II

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

So after months of meticulous planning and numerous shakedown trips, my son's troop and I arrived at Philmont Scout Ranch all ready for twelve days of fabulous backpacking.

So once we arrived at that first campsite (and much to my dismay), I opened up my Rainshadow II to discover I had left the one and only rear pole back in Maryland. So for the past several weeks leading up to the trip, I had sensed that the tent seemed rather light, but I had somehow overlooked that the tent was missing its one and only pole.

Fortunately, with a little bit of ingenuity & some extra trekking poles, the other adviser and I survived quite comfortably:

Tarptent-poles-01

Tarptent poles-02

Obviously, the "mistake" also knocked another several ounces off the tent's total weight. The only issue we had was when we had to pitch the tent on a rather steep slope one night. The other adviser decided to go bowling while he was asleep, and slid right into the poles.

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

Very inventive!

Last canoe trip my wife and I went on we packed light and took our Rainshadow II.
    Heh, but of course we forgot the trekking pole…

paddle tent

I guess this makes it a "Paddle tent" instead of a "trekking pole tent"?
    I also have the very similar but smaller Squall 2, and use that as a solo tent.
    Once, when traveling for work I camped late one night on some BLM land, and noticed I had completely forgotten about bringing a trekking pole…
    I used a spade I happened to have in the car to hold up the front of the tent that night!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Talk about necessity being the mother of invention…
    Last night I was watching a movie where the protagonist was driving around in a Citroen D, a car with some very distinct lines.
    That Matt improvisation reminds me of that car.

BTW, about the mid side tie outs (when set up with the standard pole…) don't pull them out so as to deform that part of the tent.
    The line from the front corner to the base of the rear pole should be a continuous straight line , like this of a Squall II:
    Squall II

Phillip Shnieder TT Gallery. (I like that shot)

The same for the Contrail and Cloudburst . Ignore my photos that show otherwise.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

ha!
    i did the same as robert on a recent canoe camp, improvising w/ a willow switch.
    i did not 'forget' the trekn pole, rather i said "really, am i gonna pack a pole or am i gonna b a Survivor?"
    the only suitable one had a Ton of curve to it, sorry no foto
    ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools