Topic

Some advice for first “real” climb

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Some advice for first “real” climb

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Alok Karnik
    BPL Member

@doogan

So I'll be heading over to Red River Gorge with a group for my first real climb. I've only been in the climbing gym so far. I have a harness, chalk bag, and shoes. I won't be doing any lead climbing. The weather is expected to be in the 80s. I have a good amount of backpacking gear and experience. But for climbing what kind of clothes would you recommend wearing and is there anything climbing specific gear/items that you would recommend bringing? Also any wisdom/advice/tips that would make this first climb go smoother than your first climb ;)

Thanks guys and gals

Alok Karnik
    BPL Member

@doogan

PS,

I also stubbed my toenail a month ago, and it is about to fall off… anyone have any advice on how to tape up/care for/what to do with/etc. the toenail while I climb?

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

Are you going with a guide? If not, does someone in the group know what they're doing? (I.e. building anchors and setting up top-ropes.)

No helmet? (Yeah, I know, it will be hot, humid, and probably almost nobody there will be wearing one.) What about a belay device? You might also want a bit of sunblock and some tape to patch up your hands.

I'm out West so don't know the local fashions, but you know what the weather will be like, and what works in the gym.

I've always just put a band-aid over a nail that I'm not ready to pull off. Ideally with the pad over the nail, so that there's minimum adhesive sticking to the nail itself.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Be safe…..Invest in a 6 -8 day reputable mountaineering course/school that deals in the type of alpinism you are interested in perusing. (E.g. NOLS, American Alpine Institute, Alpine Ascents International. Mountain Madness, Alpine Skill International)

ALSO

The American Alpine Club is a good resource for information and support in your endeavors.
    GO HERE

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

if you are asking us, that doesn't speak well for whoever is taking you climbing.
    hopefully somebody knows something.

isn't Red River Gorge mostly a sport climbing area ?
    if so then serious anchor building skills will not be needed.
    but, again, somebody should know something.

its a really good idea to watch closely the belay skills and attitude of someone before putting your life in their hands. not everyone is as serious about this job as they should be.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

You'll have a blast there. The Gorge is a pure sport climbing location – at least the Muir Valley portion that draws most people. Its bolted everywhere. The rock is good quality.
    If you have a guide or experienced climber with you, you should be fine. Its a great place to learn sport climbing. I really don't think any courses are needed. Guides regularly take first time climbers out to Muir Valley.
    Nothing special is needed other than your climbing gear, other than the obvious sunscreen, water, etc.
    Have a great time. Miguel's for pizza and beer after the climb.

Alok Karnik
    BPL Member

@doogan

Yeah I'll be climbing at Muir. No worries guys. I'll be going with an experienced lead climber.

kristen buckland
    Spectator

@buckie06

Locale: Colorado

just bring the typical harness, belay device, helmet, sling/PAS or locking biner if you have to clean the route, etc. I always bring a light jacket if it gets cold, and sunscreen, where I climb doesn't have any shade.

Alok Karnik
    BPL Member

@doogan

thanks guys went great! already planning the next trip back

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools