Topic

Sarongs, Bandannas, and ‘Head tubes’

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Sarongs, Bandannas, and ‘Head tubes’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Franco, Roger,

you have it wrong it has been renamed OPEC and it is in Austria.

and I just learnt they agreed to standardise the measurement system around the Pacific and that is fair dinkum.

Tony

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> we need you at the "mixing fuel " thread.
    I am lying low … :-)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Tony
    That was embarrassing….Let's hope he does not visit Sweden (or is it Switzerland ?) anytime soon.
    ( BTW when I saw your name I thought that you were going to offer me that 18g stove of yours in exchange for the right to use my idea for a 15% (potential) efficiency increase with alcohol stoves)

Roger
    You need to re-design that tent of yours and install a higher entrance.
    You cannot let vague claims, like mine, go unchallenged.

Franco

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Franco,

I agree tests are needed on alcohol fuel mixtures.

I have been following the alcohol mixture thread with some interest as I have started to play a bit with alcohol stoves. I have known about the claim that a bit of water added to alcohol or methylated spirit is supposed to make a stove more efficient for a long time but I have never tried it but then again STD Rectified Ethanol has about 5% water in it, Absolute Ethanol is about 99.8% pure and I have had good results from them, I have never tried IPA but will try soon. If I can find time I will run the different alcohols through my test rig to get some hard data.

<( BTW when I saw your name I thought that you were going to offer me that 18g stove of yours in exchange for the right to use my idea for a 15% (potential) efficiency increase with alcohol stoves

I am in the process of making a new easier to make SUL canister stove will post pics soon, and unfortunately it costs between $2000-$10000 to get a gas stove approved for sale here in Australia.

Tony

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yes I know. The Jetboil had a hard time passing the tests…
    Those hidden costs are the reason I get annoyed when some talk about retailers or manufacturers "ripping them off" . Like the " it only cost $40 to buy the fabric for a tent, at $199 retail they are ripping me off"
    But we have hijacked the thread and possibly disappointed Ben. I think that he was expecting some pictures of us wearing sarongs.
    Franco

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, just what I need… pictures of bandanas, Franco hats, sarongs, and rain chaps. :)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Or thongs (of the underwear kind), huh Ben?

Simon Harding

@simonharding

So…no one uses one as a towel after a swim? I do.

I have a "camp towel" that I bought when I still bought into the "if you buy it from a mountain shop/REI it must be better" school of thought, but it is less versatile, and when I dry my stubbly face, I found out the hard way, it leaves little bits of blue fuzz on my bristles. and that looks a bit ridiculous and feels more so when one fails to discover the condition until days' end. After seeing numerous people on the trail.

I use mine as a hand protector with pots, strainer, snot rag, towel, washcloth, head protection upon forgetting or losing hat (sunburned bald spots are no fun), breathing protection, tent cleaner, dew drier, etc.

I've no use for a sarong though. Except in teh privacy of my own home, of course.

Simon

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools