Topic

“Light” weight backpack to carry 40-50 lbs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Light” weight backpack to carry 40-50 lbs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Terry Hoover
    Spectator

@thoover1968

Locale: Texas

Is there such a thing as a lightweight backpack that will carry 40-50 lbs? I am hoping to start backpacking with my four kids and will need to carry most of the food, cooking gear, and shelter. Also, when backpacking in the Big Bend (TX) or other dry areas we will need to carry a lot of water. By light weight, I'm thinking under 3 lbs.

Thanks.

Terry

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

UL packs are designed for UL loads, so why try? It's hard on the pack AND you. Get a more "medium" weight pack capable of carrying a load comfortably and try to put the lightest stuff you can in it. I'm talking 5-6 pounds pack weight.

Terry Hoover
    Spectator

@thoover1968

Thanks Dale. Wasn't necessarily looking for UL, but lighter. Personally, my BW is a bit south of 20 lbs (so barely lightweight) with a ~ 2 lb pack but didn't want to throw 40 lbs at it. I do have a ~5 lb Alps pack that is 80L, so probably just need to stay with that until the boys can carry more of their load.

What's another pound or two when you talking north of 40 lbs total weight?

Terry

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I went through a similar search recently. Best options under 3 pounds would be the following

1. Seek Outside Paradox Unaweek – I have not personally used this one but people more knowledgeable then me swear by it. I'd get it with a durable fabric like VX42. I don't know what size or features you'd want but this would be my choice for a kids and desert pack. I think the ability to lash stuff onto the back (like a tired kids pack) would be great.

2. Exped Lighting 60 – This is one I've used a lot in Wyoming and with heavy water loads. It was my go too pack until I started packrafting and needed a bit more room. However I still consider it superior to the HMG Porter for weight bearing.

Exped has recently added some new packs as well. They are a bit heavier but they might be worth a look. Personally I think the Unaweep would be hard to beat.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay lets hold on a minute. The Unaweep is a big investment. If you already have a pack that can carry 40-50 pounds I might stick with it and do a couple trips first to make sure you know exactly how much room you need and what features you like. A couple extra pounds won't make a huge difference IF the pack fits. Eventually I think an Unaweep might be a good investment but think whether you need it NOW>

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

You could take a look at the klymit motion 60 that recently came out. If you rove the inflatable frame sheet it's about 38 oz. also has an Al stay and has advertized for heavier loads. I have one and it would comfortably carry 40 lbs. but as dale said there isn't an ul pack that carries that kind of weight either comfortably or even in many cases without danger of shredding. Ayla catalyst would be a bit heavier but probably a bit tougher.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

I believe the Osprey Volt 60 can carry that loand, and it weighs around 3 1/2 lbs.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Dont sacrifice 0.5-1 lb for the sake of being able to carry those loads more comfortably

A better place to ask would be hunting pack/ mountaineering packs

Theres a few lighter one for those loads

;)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Dont sacrifice 0.5-1 lb for the sake of being able to carry those loads more comfortably"

The original poster didn't state anything about comfort.

–B.G.–

Terry Hoover
    Spectator

@thoover1968

Thanks for the great responses guys. The Catalyst and Volt seem to be getting me closer (and staying on budget). That said, I might be better off using my Alps for now and spending the same dollars on starting to lighten up my kids things allowing them to take on more of their load. Will probably still watch gear swap for the Catalyst and Volt…

Terry

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

The original poster didn't state anything about comfort.

Well if you are carrying 50+ lbs uncomfortably for any long period of time

I hope that yr a young straping man with a good back

Or have a good medical plan that coverers physio and chiropactor treatments

Or youve spend most of yr life as a sherpa and have adapted to it

;)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

For heavy hauling, esp on trail, the external frame pack still works well.

Considering the weight hauling ability, an older Kelty (D4 or similar) at just under four pounds is pretty light. New ext frames have weight bloat FWIW.

Another advantage of an external frame is that you can strap things on very easily. When doing "Daddy Duty", it seems that there are more pads, camp shoes and so on you have to haul. A lot more difficult with an internal frame pack.

Finally, there is the price factor. For families, $$$ can be a limiting factor. Many used sporting good stores ("Play It Again Sports" is popular here in Colorado for example), yard sales or even Craigs List will have these old warhorses dirt cheap. $25 is what a friend of mine paid for his.

So (relatively) light, the ability to haul weight comfortably and found used and inexpensive fairly easily. The old school solution, again esp for on-trail, may be a viable option for you.

Does it work in the real world?

My buddy, hauling weight on two family backpacking trips (and another friend who often does "Daddy Duty" on family backpacking trips) swear by them.

kelty

Mark Montag
    BPL Member

@sanjuans

Hey Terry – good to hear your getting the kids out – keep them active with backpacking and the bright side is in a few years they can carry it all and give you your earned credit ;-).

I carry 40-50lbs for winter camp / mountaineering every year when needed – people do it all the time just not on this website. I would recommend the Deuter Act Zero 50+15 which weighs about 3.4-lbs – if you can find a 2010 60+10 model on E-bay or other used sources that pack weighs 3-lbs – totally adjustable with a very comfortable hip belt and shoulder harness for carrying that much weight. That is a top loading pack without extra pockets and compartments keeping the weight as low as possible but still providing a solid harness system for an easy ride.

Keep at it – have fun!!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Terry,

You can have light, comfort and load carrying capacity in one bag: the HMG Porter 4400. I carry 50-70lbs in mine regularly with no issues in either comfort or pack tolerance and integrity. It is bomber!

Search it and you will see many posts on its functionality.

Derrick

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

$345.00

That may be a reason why some people have to compromise. :)

David Ure

@familyguy

That is pretty cheap for a high quality pack. Just don't eat out at Denny's a few times and voila.

Seriously though, for a do it all pack, that is a good price. I was going to mention the benefit of a lightweight Mchale pack but then that may require two months without Dennys…;)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

IMHO both the Lightning and the Unaweep are superior to the Porter. The Porter can carry 40-50 pounds but I don't feel the hipbelt transfers weight as well.

David Ure

@familyguy

For 2014, the hipbelt was revised. Extra 2" in length, slightly thicker and slightly wider.

So you have tried the Unaweep?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

My HMG 4400 SW is from early 2013. It carries pretty well, but I'd say 35-40 lbs is the most I'd want to use it all day for, maybe 45 lbs if just a few miles. I have not tried a 2014 model so maybe they carry better with the framesheet addition.

Also, I emailed HMG. They said the padding in the new hipbelts on the 4400s is the same thickness it has always been (unchanged since inception).

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The absolute best option: McHale LBP but that will run you $500 plus. It is custom pack, so it would fit like a glove and last forever. McHale packs are the best packs money can buy. I have a McHale LBP 36 and there is no comparison with any other pack I have ever used, and I have used most brands

David Ure

@familyguy

"They said the padding in the new hipbelts on the 4400s is the same thickness it has always been (unchanged since inception)."

Sorry – was referring to the 3400 that adopted the 4400 belt (including 2014 length revisions) this year.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I am with Bradford on the McHale, mine cost a lot more than
    500$ as got a SARC.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Those kids will grow fast and need lots of their own gear too. An Alps 80 liter doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but it's paid for. I would make do and keep any eye out for a deal. People unload big packs pretty cheap, especially in the fall and winter, which is coming up fast.

Hiking with kids usually means easier and shorter hikes, making is easier on Poppa Sherpa too. They don't need to get very far out in the woods to have it feel like a real adventure.

What I as in mind was a decent Osprey, REI or other 60-80 pack. A McHale or Dana would be great and there's nothing wrong with a good external frame.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I bought the 2014 version of the Porter 4400 when I realized none of my current packs could handle a packraft, PFD and five days of food. It works pretty well but the hipbelt doesn't transfer weight as comfortably as other packs. For 2.4 pounds and loads almost always under 40 pounds I can live with it just fine. But if I was going to carry more then 35-40 on a regular basis I think and extra half pound to a pound for a better hipbelt might be worth it.

BTW be careful on the fabric choices if you plan to hike in West Texas. Some of the VX serious fabrics are not very abrasion resistant.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools