Topic

Which backpack w/ a hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which backpack w/ a hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I have a HH Hyperlite and a JRB quilt system. I've just about completed my gear replacement to go UL, so I am beginning to zero in on packs. I keep looking at the frameless ones, but with the weight of a pad I can get an internal frame that may be more comfortable – ex. Conduit w/ pad = 32oz vs Circuit @ 33oz. Any UL hangers out there that think they've figured out which way to go?

David Wills

@willspower3

We'll need a little more info than that to find the 'best' pack for you. What would your base weight be minus a pack? How much volume do you need? How light or durable do you want your pack? Do you like features? Check out the BPL Gear Guide for Internal and Frameless packs. It sounds SUL may be out of the question, but there is a huge selection of UL frameless and light internal frame packs to view.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I think my base weight should come in around 12 lbs. Haven't tried to pack it all in my Gregory G, so I'm not sure on the volume, but I bet 3000 ci should work.

Obviously I'm not quite ready for specific recommendations, really just wondering if the hangers in the crowd that are trying to go UL end up frameless w/ a pad that would only be used in emergencies (go to ground) or if they prefer internal frames.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

Also, how much water and food are you going to carry, thats where all the volume and weight add up.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Im my mind the question your asking is whether a ground pad is entirely redundant for a hanger. The advantage of the frameless pack that uses a foam pad for a "frame" is that it provides 'go to ground' flexibility and some additional insulation for chilly nights in the hammock. A golite jam and 40" pad come in at somewhere around 28 to 30 ounces – say less than 2 lbs.

In the end I don't think that the hammock changes the equation that much… not nearly as much as your total load / capacity requirements and which color rocks your world…

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Jeff,

3000 cu in is huge…. at around 7-10 pounds base 2000-2400 is what I routinely use…. get by with a G6 in the summer… BTW all the frameless packs work well w/o pads at these weights IMHO.

Pan

David Wills

@willspower3

bringing a sit pad for a frame used outside the pack adds a lot of versatility. I think gossamer gear packs have a great setup for that. Frameless packs work well for me. My Hammock basepack weight is usually about 8-10 lbs. My frameless total weight limit is usually 25lbs if i know it will drop down quickly on a trip.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I appreciate it! I'll put together the complete gear list and come back for more specific advice.

Wayne Teipen

@wamyteipen

Locale: midwest

Jeff, I'm in the same boat as you. I have an Osprey Aether 70 and my pack is the final item left to change over to UL. I also hammock camp. I think 3000 cc would be plenty for me on a week long trip with no resupply and am looking at the frameless Gossamer Gear G4. I am planning on making my own from the kit sold at http://www.questoutfitters.com. I figure the ground pad will come in handy if I have to go to ground. It would also be nice as a sit pad during breaks and at camp. Just a thought.

Wayne Teipen

@wamyteipen

Locale: midwest

FYI-

Just found the GG G4 at http://www.prolitegear.com for $84.95 if you're not into making your own gear.

Gordon Dunn

@egads

Locale: South East

I second David Wills.

The GG G5 pack works with my HH & JRB Quilt like they were made for each other. I've tried the hammock w/o a pad, but need the warmth or protection from skeeters.

Egads

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools