Topic

cutting cuben? how to?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cutting cuben? how to?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

Locale: Pennsylvania

need best way to cut cuben for project. Any and all ideas helpful.
    Thank you !
    Scott

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have used ceramic scissors by Arston.
    Cheers

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

I've used a good pair of sewing sissors to start then holding the sissors open about 30 to 45 degrees, push them through the fabric like you might cut a roll of paper. Don't close the sissors, just hold them open with the fabric right at the spot the blades cross. This is basically using the sissors as a blade.

I have also heard of using a sharp blade and one of those self-healing mats to cut on.

-Mark

Nicholas Jensen

@attack5

Locale: Murderapolis

Use an Olfa rotary cutter and Olfa self healing cutting board.

You can get them at any fabric store and they are the total shizz for cutting cuben!!

edited to add: people will tell you that a rotary cutter and board is too much money but what the F? You just spent a bunch of cash on cuben fiber to make wicked awesome low weight stuff, if you wanted to be cheap, you could have went with silnylon seconds and a scissors from wally-world. I guess the question to ask is….how dedicated are you?

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Or,
    you can use a $500,000 + ultrasonic CNC cutting machine! Here our GFM at work is just getting ready to cut out some large triangles that were used in building my Mid shelter.

Cutting the Cuben on our CNC cutting machine

If you don't have one of these laying around in your backyard I agree on using the rotary cutter. Zips right through the Cuben.
    I have also used with great success a seam ripper. I think I paid about $5.00 for one of these and it still cuts great after 20 hours of use!

scott Allman
    Spectator

@scottallmanhotmail-com

Locale: Pennsylvania

I am Thanking everyone for the reply here. I have gone simple low-tech using my existing sisors at teh 45 deg angle and it works great for my app.
    However the 500k cnc maching is…….way out of my world.

Thank you,
    scott

E C

@ofelas

Locale: On the Edge

El cheapo Carbide scissors work well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools