Topic

Tent stakes for alpine usage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent stakes for alpine usage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi,
    I have a Black Diamond Firstlight tent with titanium tent stakes, the regular type. (http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/acatalog/titanium_stakes.jpeg) Those stakes are fine for hiking trips, but I’m going to Mount Elbrus next summer and reckon I should get something more suitable for snow and ice. I imagine some camps will be on grass, dirt and rock, some on slushy snow (freezing during the night), and one or two nights on pretty icy ground. What lightweight tent stakes would you guys recommend for this type of alpine use? Should I bring two different sets?
    /Moe

Meir Gottlieb
    Spectator

@mcg11

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

For those conditions I’d recommend MSR Blizzard stakes. 0.85 oz each and work great in wet/icy snow. In glacial ice you may need a hammer to pound them in, and if they ice is really hard (aged or melt freeze water ice) they may not go in at all.

Anonymous

Cheers, I’ll order 8 of those MSR Blizzard stakes. Design looks good and the red colour is a good idea for use in snow. /Moe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools