Topic

An interesting windscreen design

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear An interesting windscreen design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

The following web site has an interesting windscreen design for cannister stoves: http://tinyurl.com/24ebzt

GaryGlonek's windscreen design

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

but I can't find my link… I think they used BPL ultratrods, maybe…

Lance Parrish

@lancejparrish

Locale: Southeast US

I suppose that would work to somewhat block the wind, but it looks as though it won't serve as a very good heat reflector. In my book, it really should do both.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Reginald,

Lost in Space posted a similar design at whiteblaze.net

Lance,

Radiant heat transfer is a poorly understood phenomena. Especially by makers of stoves and windscreens. In reality, most people over estimate the need fo 'heat reflection' as a metallic pot has a VERY LOW incident of heat radiation. Besides which a design of this sort is going to reflect approximately 1/3 to 2/3 of the radiant heat loss of the pot. However, this is a very low value to begin with and is greatly ecplised by convective heat transfer due to the wind.

In short, don't worry about radiant heat transfer and 'reflecting heat' any benefits are marginal at best.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools