Topic

2014 Fitz Roy Parka

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2014 Fitz Roy Parka

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Anybody had a chance to look at one of these yet? Sure it's overpriced but it looks mighty nice. Full box baffling with draft tubes at the neck and front zipper. Patagonia claims 544g for the medium. I wonder how it compares to a Rab Infinity or Montbell Permafrost.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Though this is not the 2014 model the review is something you might what to read.

GO HERE

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Hi, Ken,

Cheers for the link, but I think the 2014 version is significantly different from the previous model. It seems to have a lot of design features based upon the Encapsil Parka at a more affordable price (and lighter, but not as warm). I may to wait quite a while before anyone writes a decent review.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I finally pulled the trigger on the MB Permafrost recently. I have been studying this type of jacket for a while and for my pursuits, winter mountaineering as well as snowshoe trips, MB was my choice. I had looked at the Fitz Roy in the prior iteration and concluded it wasn't going to be warm enough and I wasn't confident in the durability of the shell material. Looks like Patagonia are using a 20d fabric on the new version. MB uses a 30d Ballistic Nylon shell.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Randy,

I use both the Permafrost and Mirage and I am really impressed with them.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

The Permafrost and Mirage are the other two on my short list. The Permafrost looks awesome but quite heavy. The 30d shell is a plus, however. The Mirage looks great but I just don't know how I would feel about the 7d shell. I would be constantly worried about brushing up against anything. The Fitz Roy to me looks like it could be a nice intermediate compromise. My main concern is about the fit. Patagonia down jackets tend to be super boxy.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have an Eddie Bauer Peak XV also (I live in Michigan)

The Mirage is for 30-15F, the Permafrost 15-0F and the Peak XV below 0.

I often use the Mirage with an Arcteryx Atom SV or Nuclei.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Rick,

The Mirage is a Large and Nuclei is an Xl.
    I can get the Mirage under the Nuclei with about 15-20%
    Compression of the former, I would only wear the Nuclei on top
    If its snowing or sleeting heavily (at camp).

The Mirage sizing is more in between a large and Xl.

The Permafrost and Peak Xv are Xl.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Rick,

In Scotland during winter I mainly use a mix of down and synthetics, such as the Mirage and Atom Svoer.
    The Permafrost would be good also due to the GWS Shell.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Spoke with a guy at Patagonia about the new Fitz Roy. It has 200 grams of down (up from 188 grams) and has a similar design and fit of the Encapsil jacket, without the down.

The jacket is less 'feature oriented' than it's predecessor and lacks the fleece lined pockets and pocket configuration- but sheds several ounces.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I also spoke with a fellow at Patagonia about the new Fitz Roy concerning down weight.
    His written reply after he researched the data because it was not handy….
    6.455oz
    183g

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Seems to me that at that fill weight this new Fitz Roy is a confusing proposition. I'm guessing that a large Fitz Roy would weigh at least 600g, probably more like 625g. A large Montbell Permafrost weighs 694g according to Dane at Cold Thistle, and has about 275g of down. So for only about 70g weight penalty you're getting at least 75g more down and a 30D Windstopper shell.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I see that Patagonia now offers a "Special Edition" of the Fitz Roy jacket with a lighter weight Pertex Endurance fabric (0.85 oz, 10-denier). This reduces 2 oz of weight from the jacket, to 11.5 oz. Too bad they don't offer the same for the parka version.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-special-edition-fitz-roy-down-jacket?p=84550-0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools