Topic

MYOG Cuben 9×7 Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Cuben 9×7 Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Hi everyone,

I put this tarp together for another forum member and figured I would post it here just for kicks. Also, wanted to show folks who are considering cuben just how easy it is to work with. It's size is 9'x7' with a catenary ridgeline and (8) tie outs. Forest Green CT1k.08 was used, and the final weight is 5.3oz before guy lines. Below are some pics of the construction and the final product. Any questions please ask. Thanks

Using a pattern to make things easy
    cuben1

After the 1st cut. 2.5" of deflection

The first set of tie outs are on. Six of the tie outs use D-rings, while the ridge tie outs use O-rings.

The ridgeline is ready for bonding. 3M tape with primer

Tape is on. We're getting close…

Both sides bonded together. Now time to do a little sewing and…

Bingo. Tarp is done and ready for some trips.

Ryan

Paul French
    BPL Member

@ssghawk

Locale: Northern Texas

Ryan,

That is very cool. LOve the ridgeline cut and the pull outs.
    Approximately what were the total material costs.
    Regards,
    Paul

Adroit
    BPL Member

@adroit

Locale: Northeast US

Looks nice! Thanks for sharing with us, especially the pics.

So you used a primer for the tape? I haven't heard of that. Which primer?

Which tape did you use for this application? I've read about different 3M types, but wasn't sure which one is the best to use.

Also, which 3M single sided tape is appropriate for covering seams?

A MYOG Cuben tent is in my near future, and I appreciate any and all info.

TIA

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

Thats a palace compared to what I slept under last night, it looks fantastic.

Did you buy the tie outs, or make them, what type of material and glue do you use?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Paul- Six yards of CT1k.08 and the various other items – $175 would be my guess.

Dean- I used 3M 9482pc 1" wide tape for the ridge line. The primer is Primer 94 also by 3M. I've never used it in the past and always had great luck, I just wanted to try it out. It works well, but is overkill IMO. As far as which tape to use, there 3-4 that work well. 9482pc, 9460pc, 9472le, etc. Use the thinner 2mil tapes. For covering seams, I would use the 1 sided tape that Zpacks sells.

Daniel- The tie outs are reinforced with high tack sailcloth, which is basically polyester fabric with an adhesive on the back. Sticks well to cuben and you don't have worry with adding your own adhesive.

Ryan

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Hi Ryan

what is the minimum roll order from Cubic Tech?

Cheers

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Adam,

CubicTech's minimum order quantity is 9m.

Ryan

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Ryan, that tarp looks awesome. Well done!

Why did you go with a curved ridge-line over a flat tarp?

I really like the aesthetics and (small) weight savings of cat cuts but most of the cuben gear I've seen uses straight seams since the fabric doesn't stretch (and it simplifies the process).

Maybe it's a person preference but I like flat tarps for their versatility of pitching….shaped tarps certainly look much better in my opinion though, so I'm still a bit torn.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Hi JP,

The member I made this tarp for requested the catenary ridge line, so that's what I used. With that said, catenary curves will make for a more taught pitch compared to a standard ridge, even with cuben. Plus, they're easy to do! Will it make much difference in the field? Most likely not. Sure looks cool though. :)

Ryan

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Looks great Ryan.

I'm hoping to start a cuben tarp project soon.

Lou Z
    BPL Member

@lugee

Locale: Southern California

Ryan, did you fold over/finish the edges or leave it as is?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Lou,

I folded the edges over twice and then ran a stitch around the entire length. So, the tie outs are stitched through three layers of cuben and three layers of sailcloth. Even though cuben won't fray like nylon, a hem is still necessary. As the cuben is cut into shape very small tears are made in the edges which can cause premature failure.

Ryan

John Gilliland

@johncgilliland

Locale: Indianapolis

This is really nice. I am thinking of using cuben for my next project. The cost is definitely a factor though. I want to save money when I MYOG but with cuben it is harder to save (you still do though, of course).

Nice work and great inspiration.

j

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

John,

Give it a shot with cuben. For things like tarps, the MYOG savings isn't huge, but for the more complex shelters like pyramids it can be huge. A lot of the cost in those shelters is labor due to construction techniques. Fortunately MYOG'ers work cheap. :)

Ryan

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

looks similar to the next cuben tarp I'm making. glad to see I'm not the only one who is not sold on the "wonders" of centenary ridgelines…

Out of curiosity, what did you use to cut the cuben? what surface did you cut it on?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Steven,

I use a razor blade knife and cut on tempered hardboard. Both can be found at Lowe's and are cheap. I've tried hot knives, exacto knives, etc and the razor blade knife works best for me.

Ryan

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

nice, I hadn't tried a razor blade knife, I couldn't find mine when I first started working with cuben, I actually settled on a kyocera ceramic knife that I had laying around and that works great, comfortable handle, super sharp and cuts through cuben very smoothly. Along with a 2'x3' cutting board which works great for the smaller stuff, of course, the issue I had was with cutting the larger body sheets in "one go". I love the tempered hardboard idea! I'll have to swing by HD and buy a board or two, thanks!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools