Topic

10% tons of cottage brands 8/1-8/4 at TrailanEra.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 10% tons of cottage brands 8/1-8/4 at TrailanEra.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Guys,

Just wanted to let you know my friends at Trail and Era are having a 10% off sale this weekend. They carry many cottage brands with the best gear in the industry, I'm excited to be working with these guys. They have free shipping too!! Here is the Post from their FACEBOOK, follow them

Mid Summer Sale! Starting this Friday 8/1 through 8/4. 10% off your entire order when you #hikelighter with trailandera.com
    Some exclusions may apply.
    #ultralightgear #hiking #backpacking #enlightenedequipment #gossamergear #klymit #hyperlitemountaingear #trailandera #wemakegearbetter #takelessdomore #kontroltheelements #defininglightweightgear

http://www.trailandera.com

-Tim

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

Just curious, what's the business model of Trail & Era? What's the advantage to the consumer to place the order through them (aside from this temporary 10% offer, of course)? They list several of the cottage manufacturers' products, but unless I'm mistaken they aren't carrying inventory. So if the process is still the cottage model of carrying minimal inventory and making major products to order, what's the advantage to either the consumer or the manufacturer to have a cut of the profits go to a middle man? Why, for example, would I order a Z-packs backpack from them, just to have them pass the order on to Z-packs?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Ralph,

I can try to answer your questions from my perspective of course I'm not "Trail and Era" but I do work with them.

For BPL customers there currently may not be any big advantage to buy from Trail and Era instead of directly from me or others. They do offer free shipping but you still need to wait to have the products built. However, most people aren't as aware of all the small shops like mine and others as the BPL crowd. Partners like Trail and Era help connect our brands to customers who don't know us. The benefit to those customers is that the Trail and Era team uses the gear they carry and can give good hands on advice to customers looking for help with unfamiliar and new (to them) concepts.

There is also the benefit of having all these gear makers available at one place. Again this may not be as big a benefit to the BPL crowd who know every gear maker withing minutes of their inception however it helps those looking for lighter than REI gear but not spending hours a night scouring the reaches of the web to discover it. Bringing a lot of great gear to one place helps for comparisons too.

I know their plan is to move towards a physical store in the future so more products will be stocked and ready to ship down the line which would allow ordering multiple products form multiple manufactures on one order, from one place and have it all arrive in one gloriously huge box at one time.

I like these guys a lot and I think if you talk to them for any reason you'll find it hard not to smile as you listen to their heavy NYC accents, fun guys:)

-Tim

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

more important, is the pun in their name — Trial & Error — intentional? e.g. they'll save you a lot of that….

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Very intentional. Was on the phone with Matt this afternoon and he talked about his experiences buying gear. Trying stuff only to find out it wasn't what he needed. They definitely planned that one

-Tim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools