Topic

Wool Base Layer Itch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wool Base Layer Itch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

I'm looking for wool base layers that don't itch. I've tried Ibex & Patagonia both itch me badly. Has anyone compared Icebreaker & Smartwool to the above in terms of itchiness?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

After reading all the rave reviews about 100% merino wool, I gave it a try early this year: a Smartwool tee and a cheaper REI tee. Both itched — not intensely — but enough to be annoying. One surprise: the cheaper REI tee itched noticeably less than the Smartwool!

Does this mean merino wool is no good? Of course not. But to really find out, you pretty much have to try it out yourself.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I am not sure how it compares to other brands, but you also might want to check out Icebreaker (http://www.icebreaker.com), they make some really nice merino clothing.

— oops, I just realized after I posted this that you already mentioned Icebreaker… sorry!

Thomas Knighton

@tomcat1066

Locale: Southwest GA

I've got a couple pairs of Smartwool socks that are the softest, most comfortable things I've ever worn…of ANY material. I haven't handled any of the others you mentioned yet. In my area, I only get to handle what I actually purchase, and so far that's been limited to the Smartwool, but I'm thrilled with them! No itch at all, at least for me.

Tom

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

I have an Ibex and an Icebreaker. The Icebreaker is great! I just ordered another one to replace the Ibex for just the reason your asking. Right now Backcountry.com has some of them on sale.

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Thanks all. The socks don't itch me either it's just the shirts. I'll try icebreaker. enjoy the long weekend.

Bill

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

try the outdoor research base layers. They are a poly-wool mix and feel like cotton tee shirts

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

You might try shifting to another natural material, wool only comes from sheep, like angora[rabbit] or the possumdown mixes that come out of New Zealand, iRULE is one brand. For enough money you could have someone cut and stitch a dozen or so pashmina scarves together [OK, just kidding about that one.]

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

Just reading the '07 apparel review, and it says the most comfortable midweight is a Dale of Norway ( daleofnorway.com ). The article is worth the read if you're in the market for a top.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Hey, I'm far from a merino expert, but I have tried on Smarwool, Icebreaker and Patagonia. I own Nau and Icebreaker.

Icebreaker, specifically states in their "Easy Care" guidelines to "Wash separately first (after 2/3 days use) to remove any loose fibres"

When I tried on SW, Ice and Patagonia in the store all were noticeably 'itchy', however Icebreaker was the least itchy. Also, when I ordered my Nau.com Merino crew it was more itchy than any of the above. HOWEVER, after having owned them for a couple months due to washing out of the loose fibers (and maybe some skin attenuation, in a past life I was an engineering intern at a fiberglass insulation plant, after about a month, you simply didn't get scratched), there is absolutely NO itchiness.

I suspect, that this is due to a washing out of the shorter looser fibres. I suspect you should only be worried if you develop any kind of redness or persistant irritation after taking it off as this may signify a wool / lanolin allergy.

Anyhow, just some food for thought.

Jeff – thanks for the headsup on that daleofnorway catch… I may need to pick up that BPMag copy. Which month issue was it?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Josh:

Washing may well reduce itchiness. Some people can wear brand new merino wool and not feel a thing. Others, like you, feel an initial itch that goes away after a washing or two. But there are also others, like me, who feel the itch even after 5-6 washings! Yeah, I so wanted my merino wool tees to work that I gave them many tries and many washings — before finally giving up and returning them to REI. I did not have any rash at all — just a low-level itch that was just enough to be annoying. I am sure there are others out there whose skin react even more than mine.

So, basically, folks interested in merino wool will just have to give it a try. Until then, there's just no telling whether it will work for you right from the get go, or only after a few washings — or never!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"But there are also others, like me, who feel the itch even after 5-6 washings!… So, basically, folks interested in merino wool will just have to give it a try. Until then, there's just no telling whether it will work for you right from the get go, or only after a few washings — or never!"

Wow, that sucks… to add to your comment, people interested in merino would probably be well advised to purchase from a place like REI who will allow for returns even after washing.

Oh, are you going to try Jeff's comment about Dale of Norway?

Also, if you want to go au'naturale you may want to look at bamboo as reviews have it skirting cotton's water issues.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

October 2007 beginning on page 90

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools