Topic

Routes from S Fk of the Flathead to N Fk of the Sun

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Routes from S Fk of the Flathead to N Fk of the Sun

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I'm doing a loop in the Bob starting in a couple days. I'm trying to decide what route I want to take from the S Fk of the Flathead over to the N Fk of the Sun. One option would be to go over Pagoda Mtn and Larch Hill Pass. I've heard Pagoda is pretty nice. Another option I am considering is going up Mid Creek and taking a left at the first trail junction and going over Mid Mountain, drop into Silvertip Creek, go over Ibex Mtn and then make my way over to Larch Hill Pass. Have any of you guys been up Mid Creek and Mid Mountain? I was reading an account of Ryan Jordan talking about nasty dead fall in Mid Creek. I called the Spotted Bear Ranger Station and they said Mid Creek has been cleared out but they did not know the status of the trail that splits off and goes over Mid Mountain. Anyway, just wondering if the Mid Creek/Mid Mountain route would be a good one. Doesn't seem to be very popular.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Jeff, I've not hiked that section, but did walk by the junction on the Silvertip Creek trail last year. It looked decently well used. That ridge looks like good deer and elk country, and my guess would be that it gets a bit of horse traffic during hunting season.

The Pagoda/Larch combo is a good one, but you miss out on those final miles (assuming you're floating) down to Mid Creek, which are excellent.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Thanks David. We are floating. If we are ahead of schedule we will take the Mid Creek route for sure. It would make our route about 15 miles longer than if we go over Pagoda. That's a good thing if we have the time.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools