Topic

Bridge hammock bug net version 0.1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Bridge hammock bug net version 0.1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

Tim asked to see, though it may disappoint to know that I didn't use snaps to close the thing. I'll likely think about snap closure for Version 0.3

This is the bridge hammock modeled more or less after the Warbonnet Ridgerunner and inspired by HikingDad on Hammockforums.netBridge

Next: the bug net I designed. Version 0.1 of course, bugs yet to work out, no pun intended.bridge plus bugnetThis shows the net with the side skirts tucked in for when the wind wants to blow the net open and bugs can still smell blood.

Below, the bug net with skirts out. I may yet sew pockets on the net skirts. The small weight of the 1.1 oz ripstop helps keep the bug net down. Each side skirt is about 9" x 84" which is 1.17 sq yards = 1.28 oz.skirts out

Below, a view from within showing the center release buckle that keeps the side of the net closer to the hammock. Revision due for poorly placed midpoints. inside bridge netVersion 0.2 may lose out to a long loop of shock cord tacked in several places on the hammock, and a toggle on a string on the bug net like the picture below.
    bugnet side link

Below, one of the corners where I used snaps to secure the corners.Snap 1snap 2
    Below, opened snap, which should ideally go through the white webbing loopsnap 3

Version 0.2 will likely not have its own ridgeline as seen here:Bridge ridge

The 12" head space above the spreader bars doesn't–not too tight, considering I'm off the ground already.foot space

The bug net weighs 165 gm=5.82 oz. The net requires some extra material, such as grosgrain strips at all the corners during construction to avoid tears in use. Also, I have to think about keeping the gaps closed for bug season. Here's the inside view of a corner where I succeeded in keeping the gap very tight with just the snaps in the corners.inside corner

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I like what you did here, from hammock, to net, to pockets….

Thanks for all the pics!

Aaron Ledbetter
    BPL Member

@l3db3tt3r

Locale: PNW

I am curious on your thoughts about using the ridge line when using a bridge hammock.

Does it still help get a consistent lay?
    Does it change anything with stability?

I have been researching everywhere and haven't really found a detailed response.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Hi Aaron,

The ridgeline on bridges just helps keep the netting off your face. At least this is the case with mine. Nothing more.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I've been inspired recently to make my own bridge hammock and have been doing a fair bit of research over the last couple of days but one thing I'm having trouble finding is what length of pole to use for the spreader bars.

I'm thinking I'll probably use hikingdads plan as a reference point but in his instructions I can't find where he says the length of the poles he uses. What length did you go with? did you use an asymmetrical design, wider at the head than at the feet?

I've very new to hammocks, my knowledge is close to zero here, so I'm trying to learn all I can before I build later in the spring.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools