Topic

Campingaz cg1750 compatible with msr pocket rocket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Campingaz cg1750 compatible with msr pocket rocket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

So I've just arrived in Switzerland (verbier) and am hoping to walk part of the haute route. I'm wanting to take my pocket rocket stove and was dismayed to discover that regular msr or Coleman canisters are not available in the camping stores around here ( and can be quite hard to find in a number of European countries). I realise now that this is well known.

Despite this I have found a campingaz "cg1750" canister that appears to have a screw top thread like the standard lindal valve in most self sealing canisters available in uk, us, and Australia. The dimensions are quite unfamiliar though (it looks like a spray can) and has a 70/30 butane/propane mix.

Does anybody know if this is likely to be safe and effective for use directly with a pocket rocket? I'd really rather not blow my head off if I can at all help it.

Cheers

Hugh

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Take a look at this thread :
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=53553&skip_to_post=453876

I had seen the Bernzomatic version here in Australia sold for torches but they disappearaed by the time I thought of trying them out…

Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

Thanks Franco, a good read. Sounds like it's possible, just unstable.

In case others get stuck, I ended up finding canisters from Zurich that deliver anywhere in Switzerland within 3 days:

https://www.spatz.ch/fr/kochen/coleman-gaskartusche-250.html

Cost: 10 swfr for canisters (1x250g Coleman) and another 10 for postage

Thanks again

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

"that regular msr or Coleman canisters are basically unavailable here ( or indeed much of Europe, with rare exceptions )"

Well, definetely not true :-)

Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

Thanks woubei, I've edited the post above to be less sweeping in my generalisation.

This thread below and others suggest these canisters are hard to get in Italy. France, Spain, and Switzerland:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33925

But I get that in other parts of Europe they may well be more available .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools