Topic

Millennials and the Backcountry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Millennials and the Backcountry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I'm 5'6". Kinda hairy. Can grow a very thick beard.

More like a dwarf… :)

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

Just finished writing a blog post for Trail Runner magazine's Blog Symposium which may be relevant here.

http://feetforbrains.com/2014/07/31/july-trail-runner-blog-symposium/

Doug Green
    BPL Member

@dougpgreen

Locale: North Carolina Piedmont

As a college professor and consultant for young entrepreneurs I work constantly with kids who are 20-35 years old (yes, 35 year olds are kids to me). All of them "care" about the environment, but it is for the most part more of a political position than really caring. Its sort of like saying that you care for old people because you support social security. At the same time ask them what the top issues they will vote on and social security never gets mentioned. You can say that it doesn't matter if younger people don't get into nature as long as they support things politically, but that is not the case. People can list 100 things that they "support" politically, but they only choose who or what to vote for based on their top 3-5 issues. Support for our natural resources will NEVER rise to the top of anyone's priority list until it becomes dear to them, and that only comes through experiencing it.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

"Support for our natural resources will NEVER rise to the top of anyone's priority list until it becomes dear to them, and that only comes through experiencing it."

Agree 100%

as far as what BPers can do for expanding the interest in the sport, simply take someone with you. Outdoor activities we all take for granted whether learned as children or later in life can be somewhat overwhelming to start for many. Planning and logistics for some don't come naturally. Just taking someone with you on a half day hike could set them up for a life changing experience (worked with me) but it is so much easier if someone takes you by the hand sometimes.

Case in point, I started sailing several years ago and man, that is just another world in itself. The terminology alone is like speaking a foreign language. I don't have a problem trying something new but a three day school was in order and even then the first sail on my own small boat was filled with mistakes. I cant imagine buying a boat and having no clue to begin with. One bad day and it would be up for sale or at the bottom of the lake. Without growing up with family that sailed left me with quite a learning curve. Good thing Im a stubborn SOB.

BPing came much easier to me as I grew up hunting, fishing and camping in the outdoors. Once having the desire to BP it was just a matter of putting it all on my back and learning more navigational skills.

Also many young folks don't have the disposable income to start expensive hobbies these days. I have seen numbers dwindle in the shooting sports, sailing and other equipment intensive sports I have been involved in.

I will say that the attention span of young folks can be very short. They may not carry through with your introduction to the sport immediately but planting the seeds can many times have positive results in the future when time and income make such sports doable.

jimmyb

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I know one thing that wont be particularly helpful if you are trying to encourage a youngster is to dramatize the need for expensive gear in the backcountry, whether to survive the elements or to trim a few ounces of weight.

There are probably a good number of young people with enough disposable income to buy a nice pack full of new gear. But I wonder how may young people who dont make alot of money, are interested in hiking but havent because they think they need several hundred bucks in gear.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools