Topic

Tour de Lake (Superior) — Seeking Advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Tour de Lake (Superior) — Seeking Advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dave Sawyer

@dsawyer

Locale: Midwestern States

I'm biking around Lake Superior (1300 miles) with a friend during a three-week span from mid-October to early November. Correspondingly, we will only be able to carry only what can fit in the saddle bags on our bikes. Due to the baggage constraints, the cold that we will likely be dealing with, and the length of the trip, I'm seeking advice on what should be considered absolutely essential to bring with us. We would like to set-up tents whenever possible, however, we suspect that certain weather conditions may very well lead us toward the creature comforts of a small roadside motel. Any advice will be deemed as helpful since neither myself nor my friend have ever embarked on a trip of such length — sleeping bags, bike accessories, clothing, electronic devices, tools, food, or any other type of recommendation would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Dave

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

That trip idea seems very awesome. Planning the gear Id focus on things that have incredibly low volume to performance rather than weight. Down bags, (either one puffy winter one or 2 summer weight bags that add up in loft) wind shells, bivies and/or tarps come to mind. For a sleeping pad, you may consider a winter weight inflatable pad that can perhaps strap onto one of the panniers and save a little volume inside without bulk. If your a member here, look at the icebox gear list, if your not, the same thing is on Andrew Skurka's website, http://www.andrewskurka.com/ICE07/gear_list.php. He uses alot of interesting ideas, such as vapor barriers for protecting his insulation from moisture, he also uses an alphamid and breathable bivy combination.

If your willing, the Oware Alphamid tarp is probably the lowest volume shelter to take the wind, and it can fit 2 people, for 25 ounces and its reasonable at $135. It requires a long pole, but they sell a collapsable one that won't get in the way. If you get a bivy like the equinox ultralight bivy, Black Diamond Epic bivy, Oware Epic bivy, or montbell bivy, you will be able to have a waterproof floor for your bag and then also have lots of free room to put dirty stuff in, or you could make a ground sheet out of Tyvek or Sil nylon, Oware may also make one for their tarp.

You want either a liquid fuel stove, or a canister stove with a fuel line, so that you can turn the butane canister upside down and run burn the liquid. This is much better for cold weather performance. For food, you should consider resupplies from mailing food to post offices ahead of time so you don't carry as much, and use lots of energy bars and boil in the bag type foods to help make it easier on you by not having to carry a frying pan or so on. Freezerbagcooking.com and packlitefoods.com are some good places to get ideas from.

Down sleeping bags are really expensive for winter weight, but you would be best off buying the best 700-800 fill down model you can find, as they are the lightest and most compressible. Montbell makes some excellent cheap bags, Western Mountaineering is also a good place. As i said earlier you could get a 20 or 30* bag, and then put it in a quilt like the ones from jacksrbetter.com, and get a whole lot of down for less. Synthetics are temptingly cheap, but consider how much space they will take up before you get one. If you can, get a dry bag, nothing to intense, to protect your bag from any moisture while its packed away.

Try and minimalize the small thing you carry, like first aid kits, bike repair, headlamps or lighting, see if you like Dr Bronners for toothpaste, soap, and everything else they are for, but make sure you don't let it freeze. Carry as little electronics and books etc as you want, would a map and compass be better than a GPS, and how small of a camera do you have or can bring?

For clothing, you have to have to anticipate your high exertion wind sweeping biking, and your stationary camping. psychovertical.com has some cool ideas for clothing in high wind alpine conditions. You may want to look into something like the Golite momentum jacket, which is virtually wind proof, or something from Montane, Marmot, or Buffalo teclite, that blocks wind and provides insulation.

Thats basicly evreything i can think of right now, there are people who know alot more about biking around here, but I hope I helped you out at least a little

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

As someone from Michigan, I cannot stress how out of control the weather can get that time of year. Prepare yourself for snow. Bottom line.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools