Topic

Custom Puffy with Hood – 8.7 oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Custom Puffy with Hood – 8.7 oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I wanted to give a shout-out to Ben at Goosefeet gear. He made me a custom puffy to my dimensions and specifications and I'm very happy with how it came out. It took longer than anticipated but we worked that out.

Details:

*Puffy with Hood using sewn through construction – To my unique dimensions.

*4 ounces of DriDown 850 fill

*Snug hood with draws.

*Zipper with backer so it wouldn't snag. No draft tube…just the backer.

*Long torso design that has a pull tab on the bottom to snug it anywhere I want it to ride.

*Hand warmer pockets with no zip, insulation both sides.

*10d Pertex Quantum – Green outside, black inside

Finished weight came to 8.7 ounces on my scale and it is longer/more coverage than most production puffys. It layers perfectly under my hard shell and the hood perfectly adjust to my face for sleeping.Hoody

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Nice!

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

These are the dims I gave Ben. I rounded everything up.

Neck: 16"
    Chest: 43.5"
    Waist: 40"
    Hips: 39.5"
    Length: 28"
    Sleeve Length: 33.5"

I wear a size 7.5 hat and I had the hood sized snug. It wouldn't fit a helmet but it fits my Zpacks beenie just fine.

I typically wear a large in a jacket due to my chest/torso size. This rides down fairly low on my body. My Feather Friends puffy (20 years old) rides up high above my belt. Part of this is because I'm 20 years older and fatter than when I bought it but overall, my new puffy rides lower on my body (by intent) than do other jackets.

In terms of price…. I paid a comparable price to what I would have paid for an off the shelf jacket. Slightly more than some and less than the more popular flavors. Ben may need to adjust but it was in the $250-$300 range.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

That's a beauty! I've never seen Ben's craftsmanship in person…may have to change that!

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

It has something…. don't know the details other than it is the same material ZPacks uses on their sleeping bags.

I've not calibrated the postal scale vs. NIST standards so like any measurement you read on the Internet, take it with a grain of salt. ;-)

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Rick, no zipper on the hand warmer pockets could be about an ounce there, the snugger hood, less finishing material due to small scale sewing could all conceivably add up to the difference.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools