Topic

Rolled xlite + 1/8 pad a framesheet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rolled xlite + 1/8 pad a framesheet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I have been babying my xlite up to now. Now I am thinking if I lay the xlite (fully deflated) on the 1/8 foam pad and fold them together into a frame sheet with foam pad on the outside I should be fine since every point of the xlite will have foam on both sides of it, and the frame sheet compartment should protect it even better than a stuff sack from pokey stuff. I should say I care about the packing and a bit of padding more than the support – the pack already has an Al stay. It seems like this should be a good and protective way of packing both the xlite and 1/8 pad, without a stuff sack for "protection" for the xlite, and would give a little padding and support.

Anything wrong about this picture that I might have neglected to consider that might cause damage to the xlite?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Why not pack the xlite inside your sleeping bag/quilt for protection?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Although I haven't done it yet, I'm planning a similar setup (minus the 1/8" pad) in my new Klymit Motion 60. (As you recall, that pack has a separate compartment designed for the Klymit Airbeam Frame, so it should be fairly gentle on my UL7 pad.)

So I guess what I'm saying is:
    (a) if it's ok for an Airbeam suspension, it should be fine for any inflatable pad; and
    (b) maybe you don't even really need the foam pad.

I'll certainly be interested to see if anyone "…has any reason the two should not be joined…" but it seems totally logical to do it!

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Yeah, I feel pretty confident. The airbeam, it might be argued, is a tiny bit tougher than the xlite, but rolled and layered in the foam pad, which is a permanent part of my gear, the xlite is very protected. I think about the only stress it could get is perpendicular squeezing in the frame sheet compartment. Unlike the airbeam it will be a bit shorter than the compartment, and so should have little vertical support/stress) but I do want to see if any one has experience or an idea how this might not be the case.

BTW I got the Motion 60 yesterday, and yes, the white is even uglier in person that it is in the photos. All apologies to Ryan Jordan, but I do NOT look better in a white pack! I come from dark, Mediterranean stock so something more earthy should be better. Fixing to dye it Olive. :-)

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have been using the NeoAirs as my back support/frame…. whatever you want to call it, for the last couple of years. I got tired of rolling the pad up each morning and then stuffing it in the little stuff sack… so, I just started folding it in half, then in thirds, and putting it inside my pack, against the back, and then filling the rest of the pack as normal. This makes it super easy to pack up, or unpack, each day, and while it probably still fills the same amount of space, I like to think that since it's long and flat against the back instead of in a big ball somewhere inside the pack, it also gives me a little extra room.

Anyway, I also sometimes carry a 1.8" GG TL pad, but I usually fold it inside the XLIte since things catch on it easier (things just slide against the XLite). Of course, you do have to be aware of what you are putting against the pad, but it's not that bad… so far, nothing has happened with mine.

Here is a video I did a while back that shows me unpacking my (at the time, new) Arc Blast with the pad packed this way. (Skip ahead to about 12:30 or so in the video for the pad.)

Practice packing the Arc Blast

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Chad, that is a great bit of data since that way should be the most abusive, potentially to the xlite. Of course it depend on what you have in your pack. I don't have anything "pokey" except maybe a bear can that is hard, but smooth. I will have the xlite folded very similar to what you show there, but stiffed inside in its own frame sheet compartment, and inside the 1/8 in pad. You are right, there is even an argument that over the long haul doing it that way is less damaging because you are not folding and refolding it tight all the time on the same creases to get it into a stuff sack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools