Topic

JMT gear?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT gear?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

i want to hike the JMT as a 40th birthday present. this is gear i have available to use for my big 3.
    packs -golte jam
    mld zip
    sleeping bag- jacks r better
    stealth 40 degree
    montbell #3 30 degree
    shelter- gatewood cape

once i have these work out i'll move on to the rest

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

sorry, not sure if you're asking for opinions & suggestions.

if you can layer other clothes enough to make that 40 degree quilt work at 30 degrees (occasionally a little bit colder), then go for it. i personally can't do the Sierras with any bag rated higher that 20 degrees, but i'm a cold-blooded woman. ;)

have you used the gatewood in heavy inclement weather? i just keep thinking about AYCE's article he wrote after using a poncho tarp to do the JMT back in 2003 (it can still be read over at thru-hiker.com). admittedly, that was a heavy-weather year, but on the JMT you never know.

when are you planning on doing it?

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

anything that will help. how many days? time of year? i don't the money to buy more gear. so i have make do with what i have .crampons, ice axe, and the like are out.this will most likely be a solo trip. a popular time of year would be nice for the company.water treatment filter or chemical.bear canister hard plastic or ursack with liner. i have no experience with either. i have never been above treeline in may life ,will i need time to adjust.north to south trip.this is all i can think of right now.once again any to help take the guess work .just want to hike the trail no fishing .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools