Topic

Resupply first aid kit without getting reamed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Resupply first aid kit without getting reamed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

Just wondering what everyone does to resupply their kit? I'm about to get a .5 or .7 Adventure Medical kit.

When I come back from the field and need to replace 2 tincture of Benzoin ampules and 4 butterfly closures, where should I go without getting reamed? I usually order stuff off the Internet, but little quantities like this will probably be cost prohibitive with shipping (unless a web store will send first class USPS).

Do drug stores have most of this stuff (in small sizes)? I know how to replace bandages, OTC drugs, bandaids, etc. It's the more specialized/backpacker stuff I'm a little worried about.

Charles Thompson

@demeraradrinker

Locale: Land of Toto

I just noticed Adventure Medical has resupply stuff. Not too bad.

What sites are good for ordering this stuff? Or do you just go to the drugstore?

And one more question–I'll be taking my dog with me. Anything special first aid-wise that I need for him? I was thinking maybe scissors to shear away his hair if I need to get to a wound.

douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

Look in the phone book under "medical supplies" or "home care supplies" and you will probably find some stores in your area that sell most of the stuff in your kit for a lot less than a normal drug store.

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Charles, I'm a cat person, but I found a way-heavy canine first aid list at http://tinyurl.com/aflo4. Looking at it, I see a lot of things you'll already be carrying for yourself (tweezers for ticks, bandanna, maybe even an emergency blanket and Benadryl) and some things you could improvise (i.e., instead of buying dog booties for an injured paw, use one of your spare socks and a plastic bag instead). I bet that some plastic food wrap would help keep a bandage on without sticking to fur. Tiny scissors would be handy for both of you. The thing that concerns me most when I see dogs on the trail is that they are getting enough H2O and that their paws aren't suffering from the rocks. HTH.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Also try minimus.biz, a great site with lots of signel serving and individual items.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Check out this thread and consider what you "need" to include in your emergency supplies that can't be purchased at a local drug store or Target.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7830

Mine:
    super glue
    duct tape
    mole skin
    Ibuprofen
    12hr Sudafed
    alcohol pads
    butterfly and band-aids

Unfortunately, only hindsight is 20/20

>michael

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I think if you were to slip and fall on… say… a jagged rock… and get a long deep gash on… say your hand… from catching your fall… I think you'd want more than a few band aids and a swatch of duct tape. Since that happened to me… I always carry a small roll of gauze and fabric tape. You can always improvise of course… but with a large wound… wrapping is key… and I'd rather not use my snotty bandana to wrap a wound… lol

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I think if you were to slip and fall on… say… a jagged rock… and get a long deep gash on… say your hand

Add a 1" roll of micropore tape – it does (almost) everything.

Cornelius Austin

@nealaustin

Locale: Minnesota

REI sells provodine and Benzakonium in their store. It's cheap enough that I buy it there. I could steal it from the hospital where I work but that's wrong.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools