Topic

Polartec Alpha – half price

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Polartec Alpha – half price

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hwc 1954

@wcollings

If anyone is curious about Polartec Alpha, but choking on the price tags, there are half price sales on the Marmot Isotherm jacket and Isotherm Hoody. This is Marmot's version of the Patagonia Nano Air. It's a Pertex Quantum 20 denier shell, Polertec Alpha insulation, and an inner lining of wicking "Dri Clime mesh". One way to think of this: it's a DriClime windshirt with Polartec Alpha insulation.

Has light stretchy softshell fabric patches on the top of the shoulders for pack strap protection. The men's hoody weighs 14.4 ounces. The non-hooded jacket weighs 12.2 ounces.

Here's a video:

Link to video

REI has the hoodies in various sizes colors for half price:

REI: Isotherm Hoody

Backcountry has the jacket for $99.95

REI: Isotherm Jacket

I ordered one of the jackets to see if this is a useful piece. I do know that the Primaloft synthetic puffies soak up sweat like a sponge. Overheat in one of those and I'm literally dripping wet. They also don't pack down very small in the pack. If this stuff is thinner and really breathes, then it might be a useful alternative — maybe a cross between a synthetic puffy and a fleece as far as function?

But, it appears from the discount pricing that the $200 to $250 price points are a bit rich.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I got the Venturi Hoody a month and a half ago for only $63.83 (when they had more sizes). It's also Polartec Alpha, but super super cheap.

Only XXL size left, but the jackets run a little small in the chest, so XXL will probably fit like a XL.

If XL is you size, it's only 63.83 to test out the Alpha.

http://www.rei.com/product/860444/rei-venturi-hoody-jacket-mens

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I got one as well – size L in my case but they do run slim. Used it last trip and it worked quite well.

Kerry Wilson

@mntnflyr4fun

Locale: North of Eugene, South of Portland

thanks for the heads up

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools