Topic

Sept JMT Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Sept JMT Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Actually, I think bivy sacks might be the perfect solution for you guys. They are warmer, will cut the wind and some spray. With that added layer by itself I think you might be fine with your bag and gear as is. Use with the tarp, but the breathable kind. If you get the un-zippable kind, like the zpacks ones, then you would be good in hotter weather as well.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Is there any data on how much a bivy sack helps with warmth?"

I doubt it since there aren't any standards as to what a bivy sack really is.

I sewed my own two-person bivy sack over thirty years ago, and it used some substantial Goretex fabric. With it, I could sleep out in a snow storm without any problem.

However, now that we are within the ultralightweight context, we are looking at very thin fabrics. About all you expect to get is a little windproofness, a little breathability, and maybe a little rainproofness. Don't expect much extra warmth, although it might make a sleeping bag more comfortable because of the other factors.

The other thing is that a bivy sack gives you a place to stuff all sorts of things around your sleeping bag, and those help warmth as well. That would include any clothing not already worn, spare socks, towel, etc.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"If you get the un-zippable kind, …"

zippable

un-zippable

hummmm……
    ;-)

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

In my experience the un-zippable ones are far superior to the zippable ones. ;-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"In my experience the un-zippable ones are far superior to the zippable ones."

What? Do you just chew a hole in the side and then crawl through it?

I've made bivy sacks with a long zipper down the middle, with a long zipper down the side, with a short zipper across the chest, and with combinations. I've never had one that was un-zippable. Maybe you use buttons or velcro.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Grammer police are everywhere.

"unzipp-able" then. Or is "unzippable" better.

Anyway, since they resemble a body bag I'm keenly interested the the ability to get out.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Grammer police are everywhere."

Grammar police are out, but the spelling police are worse.

For the normal purpose of a body bag, they don't want the body to be able to get out.

–B.G.–

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"Grammar police are out, but the spelling police are worse."

I think the location of a hyphen may still technically qualify as grammer. Humm, I guess that makes me the grammar police police.

"For the normal purpose of a body bag, they don't want the body to be able to get out."

My point exactly.

Now all someone has to do is mention Nazis and we will know this thread is over.

Whoops.

Duane Bindschadler
    BPL Member

@dlbvenice

Locale: Venice

Just wanted to complain at the ignominious end to my wonderful thread…

(and show that I could spell "ignominious")

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Well, your list is well thought out.

As far as the off topic of tarps goes, I always use a tarp for 3 seasons and do so in the shoulder season. As stated, good pitch is everything.

The other point to make is the old adage "hike high, camp low". If you plan on camping right below passes or in real exposed areas every day then it can be a problem. You can miss a lot of weather by just camping a bit lower and a bit more protected.

Site selection is king.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools