Topic

Jetboil MiniMo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jetboil MiniMo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

jetboil minimo

1L pot, shorter and wider than the existing Jetboils, regulated (which may not actually do anything), and a significantly less sensitive valve. They say it has 2.5 full rotations from off to full blast as opposed to one third of a turn for the existing Sol and Zip Jetboils.

14 ounces.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

Didn't John Abela make one of those, and then Jetboil gave him crap for modifying their product . . . and now they are selling pretty much the same thing John made?

Hmm.

*edited to replace sh*t with crap.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Didn't John Abela make one of those?"

Form factor somewhat similar, but volume twice as big – and twice as heavy too. I don't think the company can give you crap about anything you do to their stuff, except void the warranty. Ray Jardine has some entertaining screeds about this.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Didn't John Abela make one of those, and then Jetboil gave him crap for modifying their product . . . and now they are selling pretty much the same thing John made?

After more than a decade of being on the market, it does seem rather… interesting… that just a few months after I published my article on cutting down a Jetboil, that they put into production the same basic concept… "coincidence" (??)

Basically this is the Jetboil Sumo that they have shrunken and attached some handles onto (shame, but understandable).

There is probably no way they are going to make this in a Titanium version, even though they offer a Ti Sumo, because they are trying to make this a version you can cook in, and we all know how well their previous attempts at that has gone, sadly.

But anyway, yeah, "coincidence", does seem to be the word of wonderment here.

If you are reading this Jetboil… how about sending me 5 of these. One for me to modify the crap out of, one to replace the one I will probably destroy, and three for me to give away as a promotion to other BPL hikers!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

On May 2010 Luke Moffat posted about his cut down jetBoil , to be used with a Soto stove to save extra weight.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33262
    In Feb 20122 Tony Beasley used a cut down JetBoil to make his cold weather set up
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60101
    April 2010 was when Brian Martin posted about his cut down JetBoil :
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=32107
    But in Sept 2009 Tinny from MiniBullDesigns already had a video on his 8oz JetBoil…

YouTube video

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Oh no! That last video now makes be want to remove more stuff, like the plastic. I think I better lie down until the feeling goes away.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

"After more than a decade of being on the market, it does seem rather… interesting… that just a few months after I published my article on cutting down a Jetboil, that they put into production the same basic concept… "coincidence" (??)"

seriously john..my eyes hurt from rolling them.. get over yourself

James Couch
    Spectator

@jbc

Locale: Cascade Mountains

"After more than a decade of being on the market, it does seem rather… interesting… that just a few months after I published my article on cutting down a Jetboil, that they put into production the same basic concept… "coincidence" (??)"

You flatter yourself John. It takes more than a couple of months from concept to bringing an item into production. It is indeed a coincidence. There is nothing new in the idea, people have been cutting down and modifying jetboils for years.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Too funny.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

lol

Glad somebody was able to see the humor in my post… some of you people here are waaaay to serious (rolleyes)… not getting any umm.. "trail time"… in your life I take it ;)

Come no people…. really… you thought I was being pompous…. that's just comical. My entire post smack of mockery… if you cannot get that, well, giggle.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

As a comparison, how much would a Sumo Ti cut down to 1L weigh (assume cozy also cut down)?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"Come no people…. really… you thought I was being pompous…. that's just comical. My entire post smack of mockery… if you cannot get that, well, giggle."

Oh yeah, JetBoil is gonna sent you some free samples to play with alright – ones that are booby trapped with the heat exchangers filed down, and that will blow up in your face due to "user error". :-)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Oh yeah, JetBoil is gonna sent you some free samples to play with alright – ones that are booby trapped with the heat exchangers filed down, and that will blow up in your face due to "user error". :-)

Or maybe one with a thermoelectric generator on it… because we all know JB has been working on one of those ;)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

All the joking around has been fun guys :-)

I posted a first-look as I got my minimo a couple days ago (bought it, of course, giggle).

For just boiling water it seems a bit taller than it would need to be for a solo hiker. However, when it comes time to make some nice soup or such for dinner, it is actually a really really good size.

The folding handles I thought I would not like but they did a good job on them – much more solid than what I was expecting.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I had to look up my old post here —

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68262&skip_to_post=583524#583524

Almost two years ago, but I just used this exact setup this weekend. Under 10 ounces with fuel, how is it that this new option from JetBoil would even be a competitor? And I know that most non-canister setups are half that weight or less.

John pushed the modifications of the original JB unit here and it made sense at the time, but does it even compete at this point? Seems like something that didn't need to be manufactured. Is it just that some people need to be able to pull the whole solution off the shelf and can't make their own? Certainly not on this forum….

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Mark,

I think you pretty much nailed it and answered your own questions at the same time.

Let's face it, the vast majority of the hiking community just goes to REI or whatever outdoor store they have next to them and buy whatever is on the shelf. Its the BPL/WB/etc folks that 'tinker' and keep the cottage industries going.

Ron Moak from SMD (and others) have said it well so many times… BPL is not where their business comes from so why design for the BPL crowd.

I am not really sure where the idea for the MiniMo came from (would be interesting to know) but I suspect it all came down to this new regulator they are using. It does such an amazing job that somebody there probably realized they could start making a Jetboil actual be useful for cooking in, and thereby realized making it shorter would be a good idea.

Yesterday I burnt my first meal in my MiniMo. Have burned through almost 2000g of fuel (20 canisters) and this is the first meal I burt. Not just boiling water but actually cooking meals inside of it, as mentioned above. I had some refried beans that I guess I did not get stirred and it burnt about a quarter size on the bottom.

Here is something that I had not thought about before I bought the MiniMo, but has become very apparent to me and is going to need some further testing… as my own testing has shown and as testing of a lot of others here at BPL have shown, most of us have been getting between 19 and 22 uses out of a canister of fuel with the Sol versions of the JetBoil. Because of this new simmer capable regulator all that has pretty much gone to hell in a handbasket, it seems. I did not even start thinking about it until a few canisters ago, but I began to realize that some canisters were not lasting long as the others. In my next set of ten canisters I will start to record how many meals I make per canister and attempt to document what was cooked, how how or low the simmer was and so forth. See if it is just something I am thinking is happening and is not, or if it really is an issue – and therefore will force MiniMo users to no longer use the 'average 20 boils per canister' rule we have used for years.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

"Ron Moak from SMD (and others) have said it well so many times… BPL is not where their business comes from so why design for the BPL crowd."

John –

Sorry, but where do you think their market is? More mainstream hikers? I'd be surprised if the LL Bean crowd has ever heard of them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools