Topic

Musical instruments for backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Musical instruments for backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I have been building dulcimers suitable for taking along backpacking and bike touring. They range from tiny to quite small compared to "normal" mountain dulcimers. They have weighed from 6 ounces to 13 ounces depending on the design and materials chosen.

Some of My Dulcimers

The picture shows my three backpacking models as well as a full sized one. One of them is a stick that is smaller and lighter than a strumstick and the other two are little lap models.

These instruments are a lot of fun and easy to play. With three strings and diatonic fretting a beginner can be picking out a tune the first time they pick it up. You can just finger the melody on the one string and strum all three strings. It is tuned in a way that it sounds like you are actually playing chords when you do that. For the more advanced player you can also play real chords or finger pick on all three strings.

They are tuned in a similar way to the lower three strings on a guitar with drop D tuning (except in G rather than D).

I am interested in selling them, built to order. Is it OK to link to my Etsy store and Facebook page here? Or is that frowned on?

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You just need a hambone accompaniment. Hambone is pretty ultralight.

But in all seriousness, those are pretty freaking sweet.

Anthony Huhn
    BPL Member

@anthonyjhuhn

Locale: Mid West

How much for an ultra-light upright bass…. I have dreams of being like that tuba guy.

What better instrument for hiking than the "mountain" dulcimer!
    It's like a clarinet and flute serenade for wine lovers.

Nice looking instruments you got there….
    I believe that links to selling would be allowed. Roger mostly gets annoyed at ebay links. Additionally if you post in "gear deals" you must have some sort of community discount (free shipping?) and you'd probably get an infinitely better reception than trying to post on "gear swap" or some other such place.

Anthony

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Thanks. I will give some thought to what kind of community discount makes sense for me to list on Gear Deals. My profit margin is pretty thin at the moment so I probably can't offer too much discount, but maybe I can figure out some kind of added value to throw in.

In the mean time:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/FeatherDulcimer
    https://www.facebook.com/FeatherDulcimer

Peter Boysen
    BPL Member

@peterboysen

Those are really cool. I had always thought about getting a little backpack guitar for camping trips, but I mostly do shoulder season camping and it's usually too cold in the evenings, so my fingers hurt if I try to play.

Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Hey Pete –

I'd be interested in potentially purchasing one of these. Is there any way you can go over the differences between shapes, sizes, and materials? I don't know anything about these, but am interested in learning and think it would be a fun addition on low mileage trips. I just don't know which one to choose (other than the lightest… but how would it differ from the others?) Thanks.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I think the lap models are better unless you want hold and play it like a guitar. Folks who prefer the sticks usually like them because they prefer holding it like a guitar rather than in the lap like a traditional mountain dulcimer.

In the case of the ones I build the lap models are lighter and have more range of notes because the frets can go father down the instrument instead of stopping at the base of the neck on the stick models. They are played in the lap and your hands are on top instead of wrapping around the neck. That means that with the lap models you more easily reach frets that are farther apart. I think this also makes them easier to play.

Size is a trade off between sound and weight. I was surprised how good the little ones sound, but the larger of the two is a good bit heavier. If 12 ounces is light enough, I'd go for the Sparrow. If you need to go lighter the Wren starts to make sense since it is quite a bit lighter.

We can email back and forth to figure out exactly what options would be best for you. Contact me at [email protected] for that.

For a beginner these are a very easy instruments to play. They have frets only for the notes in a regular do re mi scale. That makes it easy to just pick a melody using only the frets on the melody string. If you do that and strum all three strings it sounds very much like you are playing real chords.

As you gain skill you can choose to play real chords or finger pick, fretting on all three strings.

I am trying to put together some material to help in the beginners learning process, in the mean time I can point purchasers toward materials other folks have created.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Sparrow:
    Sparrow

Bluebird:
    Bluebird

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have a strumstick. I play it sort of like a fiddle, playing the melody with all 3 strings. The chords usually come out right just doing that.

I like that these instruments are quiet and that they easily play the music that I know, which is old-time stuff.

Your stick dulcimer looks pretty nice and were I to try lap dulcimer again I'd be intrigued by the smaller ones.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I am working on a 4 string guitar stick that I was commissioned to build for another BPL member. Here is a picture of how it is coming along so far.
    Guitar stick

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I got an 8 ounce strumstick from Pete. It is a great little instrument. Well pleased.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Here is a picture of my latest project, a 4 string guitar stick tuned open D (D,F#,A,D). It is a bigger and therefore heavier instrument than the little sticks and dulcimers. It came in at about 15 ounces, but could be built lighter. It was commissioned by another BPL member. It is ready to ship off to its new home. I like it well enough that I'll have to build one for myself.
    Magpie

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I liked the guitar stick (Magpie) that I built for another BPL member that I built myself one too.
    My Magpie

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

A BPL member requested this chromatic version of my Bluebird stick dulcimer. He wanted it tuned open G rather than like a "normal" dulcimer so that is what I did. I think it came out great.
    Chromatic1Chromatic2Chromatic3

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

The latest one completed is another tiny dulcimer, the model I call the Wren. This one has a new sound hole design that I think has worked out well. I think it looks and sounds great. The next project will be another similar one, only with darker wood.New WrenAnother new Wren

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

This latest one is finished and getting mailed off to Japan today. I used some different wood that the previous ones, English walnut, black walnut, and Spanish cedar.Walnut and cedar Wren

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I would love it if you, or your customers, would post YouTube videos of what the different models sound like when you are playing them – three string vs four string, chromatic vs not.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

YouTube videos would be nice and I wish I had a good one to share. I will try to put something together, but there are some problems.

I don't actually have all the variations of the instruments since they went to customers. Some of the ones I do have are early prototypes. Then there is the fact that my playing isn't very polished, I still play like a beginner. Also I am kind of self conscious and do especially poorly for the camera.

That said, I am finishing a new Wren for myself and a Sparrow for a customer so I will have current versions of both of those this weekend until I ship the Sparrow out Monday. I have an early prototype Bluebird and a current, but non-standard Magpie, so maybe I will try to put something together this weekend.

The only chromatic one of all those that I have on hand is the Magpie and as I mentioned mine is not set up like the standard model. I set mine up like a three string with a double melody string rather than as an equidistant 4 string. So I am not really set up to compare the 3 and 4 string in a video.

On the chromatic vs. diatonic fretting I am not able to compare very well with what I have on hand, but the point is kind of moot since they sound exactly alike if playing the same song in the same key. The difference is that the chromatic can play in any key without retuning. It can also play songs that have sharps and flats that are not typical of the key. The diatonic plays only the notes in the given key and you retune and/or use a capo to play in other keys. The tiny dulcimers have so far never been fitted with a capo, but I have tinkered with tuning them to a different key. They are a bit less flexible in using capos and different tuning than a full sized instrument though.

So the difference between chromatic and diatonic is not how they sound. You are basically choosing between simplicity and flexibility. The diatonic is much easier to play especially for a beginner. The chromatic is more complex to play, but gives you access to every sharp and flat in it's range.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I have been pretty busy building travel instruments for folks less concerned about weight than some folks here are, so I have been working more with heavier woods like walnut, black locust, and cherry. That said I built an instrument for a customer with antique american chestnut and found it to be ideal for backpacking instruments. It seems to be a wonderful combination of light weight, good looks, and durability.

I also had a request for an even smaller custom dulcimer. The customer wanted it to be 12" long. She was more concerned about it fitting in a motorcycle saddle bag, under an airplane seat, in a small backpack, or in other limited spaces than she was about weight. So it was not built especially light. Even with heavier hardwoods it came in at 7.2 ounces and could be a good bit lighter if made of chestnut or poplar.

I then built myself an experimental one out of "roasted poplar". It should be less fussy about hostile humidity conditions since it tends to be moisture stable.
    Hummingbird 1Hummingbird 2

Lorn Ray
    Spectator

@bigswing

Locale: central pa

I'll try to get a recording or video together of my chromatic Bluebird strum stick and Wren dulcimer whenever I have a chance. They're the ones from Pete's pictures a couple posts up. The strum stick has a much more 'tinny' treble sound due to the much smaller body cavity, which sounds neat when played next to a guitar or banjo. The Wren is a little fuller in tone.

They both sound very nice, and Pete was a pleasure to deal with. I've got no connection to feather dulcimers, just a satisfied customer…

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Lorn, I hope you will share a video. I am a little self conscious about my playing and am still hesitant to do so myself.

I have been busy building lots of instruments, but the large majority have not been for backpackers and some of the ones that were they planned to play at home rather than hike with them. It seems that orders have come more from folks wanting to learn a simple to play instrument, dulcimer players looking for a travel instrument, and folks who play other instruments looking for some variety and fun. As a result I have been building more with the other markets is mind. So if you want to minimize the weight carried, please let me know when ordering.

I was happy that the most recent order (still #6 in my queue) is slated to go on the PCT in June.

Anyway here is my, close to completed, latest project:
    Feather Sparrow Dulcimer

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools